Quick question about Tsumitate Statment

Northern Investor
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Quick question about Tsumitate Statment

Post by Northern Investor »

Hi everyone. I'll make this my self introduction as well. Nice to meet you all. I'm a US expat living in Northern Japan and I'm in my late forties. I'm late to the game but my wife and I are finally getting going on investing. We've got an account going through her and we've picked three nice funds to get started withe on the tsumitate portion on the 2024 NISA. We are starting slow at about 3man a month, but if things go well, we hope to add more as we become more comfortable with it.

I have a quick question for those that might be able to answer. On our statement it mentions  残高口数, and I have no idea what this number is referring to. It looks like a base unit amount but I cannot be sure. Anyways, if anyone has an answer for that, I'd love to hear it. Nice meeting you all and happy investing.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Quick question about Tsumitate Statment

Post by sutebayashi »

Yeah, you have the right idea. The “kuchi suu” is how many units of the mutual fund you own. (I always imagine this “bite”, or “mouthful” notion being some Japanese fund pioneers way of describing the concept colloquially and then it stuck and became official terminology)

I find the number almost useless from my perspective - I only care about the worth of my balance, not this quantity of units.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm Yeah, you have the right idea. The “kuchi suu” is how many units of the mutual fund you own. (I always imagine this “bite”, or “mouthful” notion being some Japanese fund pioneers way of describing the concept colloquially and then it stuck and became official terminology)

I find the number almost useless from my perspective - I only care about the worth of my balance, not this quantity of units.
Think of it this way, mutual funds do have shares just like ETFS or stocks. Except they have incredibly tiny share amounts that allow them calculate down to the single yen for transaction.

It's not really important to calculate or keep track of. However, you can use the number of 口 * the Current fund price to calculate your holdings in a live excel sheet. You just need to play with the decimal places. With Google sheets I use the OpenXML function.
Northern Investor
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Northern Investor »

Thank you for explaining that. I thought it might be related to that but I wasn't 100% sure! Excellent!