Insurance for freelancers

Gareth
Veteran

Insurance for freelancers

Post by Gareth »

A discussion on a different thread about liability insurance led me to this question. I’m a freelancer/contractor at the company I work for but I’m not covered on their liability insurance.

Do any freelancers/contractors on this board have any insurance that covers inability to work due to sickness or injury?

This article from June 2020
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... onditions/
includes the sentence:

“A special insurance program, currently limited to certain occupations such as private taxi drivers and self-employed construction workers, will be extended to all freelancers who get injured or fall sick while working in a similar manner to salaried employees.”

Has this happened?

The company I work for has been bought out and the new owners have brought in a load of new rules that’s I’m not happy about and would like to insure myself against frankly outrageous “fines” for not being able to complete the work when sick or injured.

I will try to change work in the not too distant future but for now will stick with it because it allows me the flexibility to study Japanese to help with finding a new job.

Any advice on how freelancers/contractors protect themselves will be most welcome. Cheers.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Insurance for freelancers

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Gareth wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:32 am
Any advice on how freelancers/contractors protect themselves will be most welcome. Cheers.
Pending -> https://jtuc-network-support.com/report/worqreport6
The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has proposed a policy aimed at autumn 2024 that would allow freelancers (specified contract business operators) who receive work outsourcing to enroll in workers' compensation insurance in any industry . For freelancers to work with peace of mind, it is essential to have a safety net that guarantees their livelihood even if they get sick or injured.
Advice
The labor market is pretty hot, start looking at other options. Clean up your CV, network, get industry specific training/certs. Start job hunting.

Also, document everything here. Get a paper trail going, be prepared to go to your union of the local employment standards office if things are not kosher.
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

What would you need to insure as a freelancer that any health/life insurance doesn't cover?

I'm a freelance writer so have no assets. My health insurance covers me in case of hospitalization/serious injury or sickness.

They way I'm thinking at the moment is having as big of an emergency fund as possible is the best kind of insurance.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Thanks for the link. That’s what I was looking for. So insurance for freelancers in all industries will come in from autumn this year.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Yossarian wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 pm What would you need to insure as a freelancer that any health/life insurance doesn't cover?
Loss of earnings
Yossarian wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 pm
I'm a freelance writer so have no assets. My health insurance covers me in case of hospitalization/serious injury or sickness.
Does it cover loss of earnings too?
They way I'm thinking at the moment is having as big of an emergency fund as possible is the best kind of insurance.
I’d prefer both!
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Gareth wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 am
Yossarian wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 pm What would you need to insure as a freelancer that any health/life insurance doesn't cover?
Loss of earnings
Does it cover loss of earnings too?
I’d prefer both!
Outside of emergency coverage for health related issues, you are unlikely to find any affordable income protection insurance.

The insurance company would not want to take the other side of that bet, unless there were huge premiums attached.

The risk for them would be quite large.
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

Yes. I always thought insurance for freelancers was about covering health related issues. I'm not even sure how income protection would work in my case because income varies so much month by month.