Liability insurance

goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: Liability insurance

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I don't think we have ever claimed but I have had students fall off chairs more times than I can remember and one once managed to smash a lower pane of glass in a sliding door when she did so. Luckily nobody was injured. Also had a car bump into the wall of the car park, and a few kids fall in the garden and cut knees etc. Nothing major but, like you, I worry about them getting hit by cars just outside the school. A few kids really need to be on a short leash. About the numbers, we tell the company how many students at the start of year, but in the past, especially when we were growing, that changed a lot and we never actually bothered doing anything bout it till the next year. Nobody ever checked enrollment or anything so not sure how important it is.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply in detail. I'm really in two minds about it, and my wife - who is usually more risk-averse than me - doesn't think we need it. It might be better to spend that 20,000 yen on accident prevention, such as better lighting in the carpark, or replacing the tiles in the porch with something less slippery. It may sound cold-hearted, but I don't want to claim for things which aren't our fault. If a child falls off a chair after being told a number of times to sit properly then that isn't really our fault, and I'd be very surprised if a parent asked for compensation. Similarly if something happens to them on the way to our school. What kind of parent would claim that was our fault? But if an accident happened due to negligence on our part, they should rightly be compensated. More than 20,000 yen? Probably. Because we can't plan for every single incident that might occur, the need for insurance seems reasonable.

Thanks. We'll decide over Golden Week :)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

northSaver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 am Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply in detail. I'm really in two minds about it, and my wife - who is usually more risk-averse than me - doesn't think we need it. It might be better to spend that 20,000 yen on accident prevention, such as better lighting in the carpark, or replacing the tiles in the porch with something less slippery. It may sound cold-hearted, but I don't want to claim for things which aren't our fault. If a child falls off a chair after being told a number of times to sit properly then that isn't really our fault, and I'd be very surprised if a parent asked for compensation. Similarly if something happens to them on the way to our school. What kind of parent would claim that was our fault? But if an accident happened due to negligence on our part, they should rightly be compensated. More than 20,000 yen? Probably. Because we can't plan for every single incident that might occur, the need for insurance seems reasonable.

Thanks. We'll decide over Golden Week :)
No reason not to claim for things the insurance you paid for covers!

Personally I think juku insurance is so cheap it's a no-brainer. You can charge the students for it too, either as part of an annual fee or separately.

Before we had insurance, a large sign on one of our schools came off during a storm.

It hit a woman who lived nearby, cutting her leg badly.

Fortunately she was a very nice person, and it only cost us her medical bills, a 見舞金 cash payment, and some fruit.

Could have been much worse.

But it would have been nice to have an insurance company involved too.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)