Transferring UK Inheritance to Japan - I'm clueless!

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
robster
Regular

Re: Transferring UK Inheritance to Japan - I'm clueless!

Post by robster »

Wow, that's a lot of detail they asked you for. In my case, very similar to yours, I was asked nothing... just the one word "inheritance" to explain the source of funds, and no further questions asked. I wonder what the difference is...?
Loth

Re: Transferring UK Inheritance to Japan - I'm clueless!

Post by Loth »

Not sure what the difference is?

In my case. thanks to a favourable exchange rate, the total amount exceeded ¥30m so triggered the need for a 支払又は支払の受領に関する報告書 (Report on Payment or Receipt of Payment) to be filed with BOJ.

Sony Bank sent me a form requesting I complete two of the sections on it and then return it to them for the filing. This I could do after a bit of online research (Sony stated that they don't provide support through their English help desk for such matters - instead they refer you to the BOJ). Anyway, I could find the necessary information on the BOJ website and confirm it with a call to an actual human before sending it back to Sony for the filing. So this process was quite straightforward, really - although now, I'm anticipating some follow up for tax purposes...

Anyway, I would be curious to know if this is the same approach taken by all banks. It's the bank that files the Report to BOJ, not the customer, and it seems the actual information they requested from me could have been completed by them in house without the need to send the form back and forth.

Perhaps they just don't like me! LOL