Does it make sense to continue with the same strategy with this JPY/USD rate?

Tkydon
Sage

Re: Does it make sense to continue with the same strategy with this JPY/USD rate?

Post by Tkydon »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 pm Hedging is not free.
Yes, we know that. But different people have different standpoints and different risks on the same trade, and so have different expectations and hedge requirements or are happy to go unprotected.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Does it make sense to continue with the same strategy with this JPY/USD rate?

Post by sutebayashi »

If I were in the business of say, air transport, I’d probably be wanting to hedge against adverse movements in the price of jet fuel. And let the speculators try to make money on price movements of jet fuel, and provide me with a liquid market for jet fuel.

In my case with my investments, I’m not really running a business and needing to fix input costs, and I have time on my side. I speculate on currency movements explicitly a bit too. If I did become bearish on foreign fiat currencies and foreign economies, I suppose I might just change my portfolio allocation.

But that’s just me, and indeed everyone has unique individual circumstances.