Yen falling like a stone

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Yen falling like a stone

Post by sutebayashi »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 am
sutebayashi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 am Heh, I see 160.40 was pierced while I was typing that :)
Back to 155. Some forex traders just had a very bad day 🤣
What do you mean it is back to 157 now :geek:

Where do we start tomorrow… might be back at 158 where it ended on Friday?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Thin Trade due to Japan being closed for Showa Day, and expect thin trade through Golden Week to Tuesday of next week, though the Japan Markets are open Tuesday to Thursday...

Oh, the FED...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndTvm16SEY

This affects the Net Present Value of Future Cashflows, that was largely being ignored as the market was expecting up to 6 rate cuts in 2024, which drove the market onwards and upwards... until it didn't any more...

and I posted earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF6C-OCgs8c

The effects of the EuroDollar Market, and demand for EuroDollars, which is completely out of the FED's control...
(The Offshore market for US Dollars as the Global Currency of Last Resort, not the Dollar Euro Exchange Rate...)
Last edited by Tkydon on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 am
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 am
sutebayashi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 am Heh, I see 160.40 was pierced while I was typing that :)
Back to 155. Some forex traders just had a very bad day 🤣
What do you mean it is back to 157 now :geek:

Where do we start tomorrow… might be back at 158 where it ended on Friday?
And 155 again. Thank God I’m not a forex speculator.
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

IloveJapan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm Guys, last Friday the yen acted like the world was coming to an end, and I suspect it could weaken further given the BOJ said nothing to support the yen following its meeting. It’s certainly the weakest level by far since I came to Japan

So I’d like to ask, does anyone feel they have words of wisdom on how to protect their assets against a falling yen?

You can mention any assets or strategies you like.

And how would a prolonged weakness in the yen affect your life plans?
My answer is pretty tough, but the only recommendation i can give if you are under the age of 50 is learn to trade against the indexes on cfds or future contracts. It will take a few years to learn your edge, but with Micro contracts and online firms you can seriously decrease the risk. When you talk about "asset based" strats this is all based on the market going long. When you hold assets it is on the mercy of the markets, but if you learn how to trade indexes or commoddities Long/Short on lev you benefit very well. In the morning NYC session i went short and long on several trades and ended up at 450 usd after commission. I feel bad for the guys are retiring the next 10-15 years.. 2030s may possibly be a insane turbulent decade.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yutaka2024 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:36 am My answer is pretty tough, but the only recommendation i can give if you are under the age of 50 is learn to trade against the indexes on cfds or future contracts. It will take a few years to learn your edge, but with Micro contracts and online firms you can seriously decrease the risk. When you talk about "asset based" strats this is all based on the market going long. When you hold assets it is on the mercy of the markets, but if you learn how to trade indexes or commoddities Long/Short on lev you benefit very well. In the morning NYC session i went short and long on several trades and ended up at 450 usd after commission. I feel bad for the guys are retiring the next 10-15 years.. 2030s may possibly be a insane turbulent decade.
Or just invest in low cost diversified index funds and ignore the noise. Much less stress, quite likely better results.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Yutaka2024 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:36 am
IloveJapan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm Guys, last Friday the yen acted like the world was coming to an end, and I suspect it could weaken further given the BOJ said nothing to support the yen following its meeting. It’s certainly the weakest level by far since I came to Japan

So I’d like to ask, does anyone feel they have words of wisdom on how to protect their assets against a falling yen?

You can mention any assets or strategies you like.

And how would a prolonged weakness in the yen affect your life plans?
My answer is pretty tough, but the only recommendation i can give if you are under the age of 50 is learn to trade against the indexes on cfds or future contracts. It will take a few years to learn your edge, but with Micro contracts and online firms you can seriously decrease the risk. When you talk about "asset based" strats this is all based on the market going long. When you hold assets it is on the mercy of the markets, but if you learn how to trade indexes or commoddities Long/Short on lev you benefit very well. In the morning NYC session i went short and long on several trades and ended up at 450 usd after commission. I feel bad for the guys are retiring the next 10-15 years.. 2030s may possibly be a insane turbulent decade.
This is all well and good, but it is speculation, not investing. And it has nothing at all to do with yen weakness. Maybe there are forums for speculators but RetireJapan is about investing.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 am Or just invest in low cost diversified index funds and ignore the noise. Much less stress, quite likely better results.
As a speculator on the side myself, I 100% agree. Speculation is not something for everyone, and many do lose rather than win. Even smart financial analysts I have seen swore off speculation because they realized they personally did not have the temperament for it. I call myself a speculator too, but my risk tolerance is too low to make it my mainstay.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Yutaka2024 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:36 am learn to trade
The real key is to set yourself up so that when you are not doing anything, be that trading, or any other kind of work, you are still able to live comfortably and support your lifestyle.
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

If your a "Investor" or "Speculator" it doesn't matter. The last 5-10 years the markets have shifted in the terms of inflation/volatility. Hyperinflation is not really on the table but for a long term Stagflation environment most likely. Maybe another market crash in USA will happen and you can buy the dip. Either way the outcome isn't great long term for the "Status quo". Guys in the 20-30s need to think things through and really educate themselves how Government policy and wall street effects the markets. If inflation continue to maintain its trajectory people will have to work until they die basically. Japan inflationary cycle is starting now; its only going to get worse. Your going to have to be smarter than the guy left and right of you. Buying indexes that are inflating with inflation isn't going to save you because its keeping with inflation; you have to figure out a way "Invest" or "Speculate" your fiat value against inflation. You may not like what i have to say; but most people don't like reality.
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

Yutaka2024 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:47 pm If your a "Investor" or "Speculator" it doesn't matter. The last 5-10 years the markets have shifted in the terms of inflation/volatility. Hyperinflation is not really on the table but for a long term Stagflation environment most likely. Maybe another market crash in USA will happen and you can buy the dip. Either way the outcome isn't great long term for the "Status quo". Guys in the 20-30s need to think things through and really educate themselves how Government policy and wall street effects the markets. If inflation continue to maintain its trajectory people will have to work until they die basically. Japan inflationary cycle is starting now; its only going to get worse. Your going to have to be smarter than the guy left and right of you. Buying indexes that are inflating with inflation isn't going to save you because its keeping with inflation; you have to figure out a way "Invest" or "Speculate" your fiat value against inflation. If you believe the inflation rate the government is telling you then you are fooled. You may not like what i have to say; but most people don't like the truth; but it will set you free