For US folks - new ID.me vs ssa.gov login

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
douglasxwilliams
Regular

For US folks - new ID.me vs ssa.gov login

Post by douglasxwilliams »

Hi all...

As I am getting closer to retirement, I checked in with the Embassy (Federal Benefits Unit) with some questions. Part of their response included a note about having to create a new ID.me credential in order to use SSA site/benefits with an international address. I already have an account that i can access via the normal ssa.gov site. But just wondering about this ID.me login/credential. Does anyone here have any experience with the ID.me vs regular ssa login?

Thanks
captainspoke
Sage

Re: For US folks - new ID.me vs ssa.gov login

Post by captainspoke »

I'm not sure about using ID.me for SSA login, versus the 'regular' way you mention, so this is not a direct answer to your question. But I did create an ID.me account for IRS purposes a couple months ago--photos of suitable IDs submitted, then a video call to confirm those, and setup did get done.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Post by douglasxwilliams »

captainspoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:23 pm I'm not sure about using ID.me for SSA login, versus the 'regular' way you mention, so this is not a direct answer to your question. But I did create an ID.me account for IRS purposes a couple months ago--photos of suitable IDs submitted, then a video call to confirm those, and setup did get done.
Thank you for the response! I did some more reading, and yeah i guess when a US citizen leaves outside the US, we need to create that ID.me account for IRS/tax stuff.

Thank you!
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Good luck.
I tried to register, got frustrated and gave up. I suppose at some point I will have to actually complete it.

Let us know when you are successful.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

captainspoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:23 pm I'm not sure about using ID.me for SSA login, versus the 'regular' way you mention, so this is not a direct answer to your question. But I did create an ID.me account for IRS purposes a couple months ago--photos of suitable IDs submitted, then a video call to confirm those, and setup did get done.
It was a while ago, but I think I got stuck when they wanted evidence of my current address in English.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

TJKansai wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:46 am
It was a while ago, but I think I got stuck when they wanted evidence of my current address in English.
IIRC, I used passport and original SS card. And no address? --tho I could've shown an SS mailing/letter to me.