Preparing a rental apt for the market - blinds/curtains etc.

HankNeva
Regular

Preparing a rental apt for the market - blinds/curtains etc.

Post by HankNeva »

HI...I'm buying a new apartment and have decided to keep the one I have been living in for 15 years and renting it out. I've never rented an apartment myself here, so I'm not really sure how I should prepare the apartment for being a rental. I will likely use one of the local realestate agencies to find the rentor rather than do it myself, so I'm sure they will have advice on this, but I'm asking here to get some other opinons here before I go talk to them.

Question 1 - I have blinds on two sliding doors and a window that lead to a garden. One of the blinds just broke. I'm wondering to replace it or just leave that door without blinds. Or pull the blinds off all the windows. if so do I need to put up curtain rails for the rentor? Do curtains or blinds usually come with a rental or just curtain rails or is nothing ok?

Question 2 - One general point is that I won't need the sofa, washer, desk, frig etc. that I'm using here so should I just sell them and empty the place out completely or leave them in case the rentor might like them? I see a problem that if I leave something in the place and it breaks, it might seem like I'm responsible for the repairs. Blind strings will eventually break. The appliances are 15 years old.

Question 3 - The airconditioner remote control is broken so I have to reach up into the unit to turn it off and on. It's ok for me but kind of hard to rent it out like this. Do I leave it as is? replace it? or pull the aircon out and let the rentor have one installed. I'm guessing I need to put a new one in there but I'm not really sure what is normal in the rental world here. Does a rental apartment usually come with an aircon installed?

Of course, a thorough cleaning by professionals after I do my best is in the plan.

Thanks!
Last edited by HankNeva on Fri May 24, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Preparing a rental apt for the market - blinds/curtains etc.

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Take out the furniture, replace the blinds, and replace the remote.

I would consider leaving appliances like the washer or fridge, that may not be worth any money, as a way to entice renters. Unless you have plans for them.

Pray you get a good tenant. Get a security deposit.
HankNeva
Regular

Post by HankNeva »

Hi..Thanks for the advice. The aircon maker Sharp no longer has remotes for sale for this model I have bought a couple of generic remotes that are supposed to work but didn't. I will have to replace it I guess.
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

Hi, I'm not sure exactly of the rules for rentals, but we rent a small apartment. We are responsible for the air conditioner/heater, the bathtub and kitchen hot water heater, and we have the gas burner unit installed in the kitchen, which we just had to update. We didn't supply the lights, since the company said that people like to buy their own overhead light. Both of our windows have shutters on them, and there are curtain rails installed (but not curtains). The walls should be newly wall papered probably, and the apartment very clean.(so waxed floors etc.) I'm sure that there are differences, but this was the expectation of the company that rents the apartment for us.
HankNeva
Regular

Post by HankNeva »

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've been advised to take out the remaining blinds and put in curtain rails. I would probably be responsible for replacing blinds if the strings break. Looking at the walls, I think they are ok without repapering. The tatami covers will have to be changed, stove and aircom as well.

I have a nice sofa, wooden desk, wooden tables and bookcases I won't be using in the new place. I'm considering leaving them in at least when I show the place and giving the rentor the option of using them. Or selling them is better? Hmmm. This apt will probably not be in the price range for student rentors, and hope for longer term than that.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

HankNeva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:58 am Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've been advised to take out the remaining blinds and put in curtain rails. I would probably be responsible for replacing blinds if the strings break. Looking at the walls, I think they are ok without repapering. The tatami covers will have to be changed, stove and aircom as well.

I have a nice sofa, wooden desk, wooden tables and bookcases I won't be using in the new place. I'm considering leaving them in at least when I show the place and giving the rentor the option of using them. Or selling them is better? Hmmm. This apt will probably not be in the price range for student rentors, and hope for longer term than that.
Furnished apartments are more attractive to short-term returns. So if that is the clientele you want, go for it! If not, I say get rid of all of it.
HankNeva
Regular

Post by HankNeva »

Thanks! That's a good point.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

A house we rented until recently had some blinds and curtains installed. The agreement was that if we wanted to remove them and put our own in, we could. If we kept them and then they broke, they wouldn’t be replaced.

Similarly with an old air con. It was working when we moved in, but if it broke, it wouldn’t be replaced.

Seems easy enough to leave old things if the tenants agree that upgrades won’t be provided.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Gareth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:49 am
Seems easy enough to leave old things if the tenants agree that upgrades won’t be provided.
I disagree being stuck with an old couch, table etc you don't want in a rental would be pretty terrible.

No way to store them for free, you'd have to pay to get rid of them etc etc.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:04 am
Gareth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:49 am
I disagree being stuck with an old couch, table etc you don't want in a rental would be pretty terrible.

No way to store them for free, you'd have to pay to get rid of them etc etc.
That’s the point. If the renters agree. We agreed to it.