Sending money from US broker to Sony Bank - documents needed?

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Sending money from US broker to Sony Bank - documents needed?

Post by ChapInTokyo »

I've sold off some of my holdings at Firstrade and am planning to remit some USD to my Sony Bank account here in Japan. Apparently once the money gets to Sony they're going to ask me to provide documentary evidence about where the money is from, in order to prevent money laundering and so on providing funds to terrorist organisations and such.

Apparently things have gotten quite strict since March 2024 and so I'm wondering what I will need to provide to prove that the money is legit. Will my confirmation of sale from the Firstrade account do the job? Thanks.
beanhead
Sage

Re: Sending money from US broker to Sony Bank - documents needed?

Post by beanhead »

That should do it. I gave them a screenshot before of the transaction details from an overseas financial institution.
It was all done via email. They send you an email once they initially stop the funds aimed for your Sony bank account.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Re: Sending money from US broker to Sony Bank - documents needed?

Post by ChapInTokyo »

beanhead wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:21 pm That should do it. I gave them a screenshot before of the transaction details from an overseas financial institution.
It was all done via email. They send you an email once they initially stop the funds aimed for your Sony bank account.
Thanks. I arranged to open a foreign currency account at Sony yesterday and am now waiting for the transfer to land.