Saving/Investing options

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Puawai
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Saving/Investing options

Post by Puawai »

Hello everyone,
This is my first ever post on this forum. To give you a bit of background, I am a full time working Mum supporting my 2 children. My son is currently in high school out in NZ and my 9 year old daughter is here with me in Japan. I have been in Japan over 20 years, only recently started educating myself around becoming financially independent (so sad about that). I don't intend on retiring here in Japan and will probably return to my home country NZ in 2-3 years time as want to ensure I'm entitled to NZ superannuation before turning 65. Currently 49 years of age. Last year I opened a managed index growth fund in NZ and have since been sending money via Wise. With the yen being so crappily low atm I'm wondering what my other options would be. What online banking savings accounts are available to those of us living here? Or would I be better off just opening a NISA a/c in the interim? Admittedly I have a mental block re: NISA as navigating the kanji feels like hard work. I have sufficient spoken Japanese but my reading ability is equivalent to a 3rd grader! Any other suggestions welcome? Thanks for your time.
adamu
Sage

Re: Saving/Investing options

Post by adamu »

Puawai wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:44 am With the yen being so crappily low atm I'm wondering what my other options would be.
Even if you bought a Japanese product, it would be investing in the same underlying international securities, so it doesn't make a difference.

If you are planning on leaving within 3 years, I think you'd be better off continuing to invest in NZ, as you'd have to close your Japanese accounts when moving back anyway.

That "managed index growth fund" sounds like it might be trouble though. Make sure you're not paying more than 0.3% annual fees.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I agree with adamu: if you'll be leaving Japan in a couple of years it's probably not worth setting things up here but instead build a foundation in NZ.

No language issues, and you'll be able to continue using the same providers after you move.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Puawai
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Puawai »

Thank you both for your response. The managed fees on my growth fund in NZ are .25% ($2.50 on $1000) Adamu so all good there thanks.
I hadn't actually realised I had comments on my post and went ahead and pre-ordered your Guide to NISA 2024 Ben - lol. But am happy to learn about it all the same. Cheers.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Puawai wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 am Thank you both for your response. The managed fees on my growth fund in NZ are .25% ($2.50 on $1000) Adamu so all good there thanks.
I hadn't actually realised I had comments on my post and went ahead and pre-ordered your Guide to NISA 2024 Ben - lol. But am happy to learn about it all the same. Cheers.
Thank you! But do feel free to ask for a refund if it won't be useful for you 😀
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)