Getting stuff from Amazon UK

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Beaglehound
Veteran

Getting stuff from Amazon UK

Post by Beaglehound »

We are looking to buy some tiles and are unimpressed by the ones on offer in Japan. Looking to order some through Amazon UK and have them shipped over by the store (not Amazon itself). Total value of order will likely be around the £100 mark. I am wondering how that works with Japanese tax and customs and if anyone has done similar and can enlighten me?
Stewart

Re: Getting stuff from Amazon UK

Post by Stewart »

Personally, I've not had a problem but from time to time a friend has been asked to pay customs duties. http://www.customs.go.jp/english/c-answ ... 6101_e.htm
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I think it depends on luck, the value of the order, and what they write on the 'contents' label. But I've had the same thing shipped several times, charged some times, not charged others.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Thanks guys, that clarifies I don’t have to do anything beforehand, just wait to learn my fate.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

But for 100 GDP, the customs duty would be peanuts even if they do charge it.
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

You can buy stuff from Amazon UK, sometimes there's a customs duty sometimes not.

But separate from that - don't know where you live but there are some big DIY and home renovation stores nearby with a truly impressive range of tiles for floors, walls etc. There are lots of things you can really only get overseas, tiles shouldn't be one of them...you could probably do a bit more searching but if it's only 100 quid it's probably faster if you already know what you want from Amazon UK.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Thanks Dragonash, the missus had her heart set on fancy hand painted Mexican tiles, just for a couple of rows of splash back in the kitchen and senmenjou. Some were available online here but Amazon UK had nicer ones and even with hefty shipping costs it works out similar price wise. We are up in the wilds of Hida so local stores are limited.