iDeCo eligibility

TylerDunne

iDeCo eligibility

Post by TylerDunne »

Hi,

I work at a private high school, and I just went to the office with my limited Japanese and spoke to someone in the offic, to ask about iDeCo. She at first seemed to not know what it was, then told me that private schools have their own nenkin and that's all there is. Could this be right? Any chance the school just doesn't want to do it?

Thanks!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: iDeCo eligibility

Post by RetireJapan »

I got the same from my uni office. Most people have no idea what iDeCo is. You need to apply through a broker first, then you'll get some paperwork for your employer to fill in.

If you apply and give them the paperwork they will be forced to figure out how to fill it out (and have a legal obligation to do so).

If you work for a private high school you are presumably in the shigaku kyosai so count as a public servant (12,000 yen a month maximum).

Good luck!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tony
Veteran

Re: iDeCo eligibility

Post by Tony »

I work at a private high school and am enrolled in ideco. Just do your application, nominate for withdrawals to be taken from your bank account, and hand over the paper work. If you're the first teacher at your school, it's likely the school will have to register somewhere to get some number to put on the forms, and that could take a little while, but once they do it should be all good.