New website (wordpress)

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

New website (wordpress)

Post by RetireJapan »

Google has just notified me that they will show security warnings for retirejapan.info from October because it doesn't have a security certificate.

Weebly charges $25 a month for SSL certification, which is beyond my budget of $0 ;)

So it seems we'll have to bring forward the migration to this new site. I am planning to use wordpress, but am not sure about whether we will be able to import the content from weebly. Does anyone know what our options are here? I would rather not lose all the old posts and comments.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Re: New website (wordpress)

Post by N00bster »

You can get a certificate for free with Let's Encrypt. I don't know how this will work with your current provider (as you need a way to prove the domain is yours, to set the certificate, and ultimately to renew it every ~3 months), but it may be worth checking.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Thanks N00bster!

This site (retirejapan.com) has a certificate, and I am planning to move everything over here eventually anyway. Wordpress is just that much more flexible than Weebly (as seen by their approach to encryption).

The main issue is how to migrate the content...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Kiyora999
Regular

Post by Kiyora999 »

I think that you need to host your Wordpress website (so pay a monthly fee to OVH/1&1 or an other structure) to be able to import your Weebly contents.
I checked on my Wordpress panel and Weebly is not included by default for data import though...

I found some tutorials online, but it doesn't seem to be a true Wordpress importation, you use some kind of plugin to convert your Weebly contents into a wordpress format.
But I don't know if you'll be able to keep your images, you might have to reupload everything manually.
Also, I don't think that your comments will be kept.
Some tutorials:
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/ ... wordpress/
https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/reso ... step-guide

Anyway, I think you should definitely transfer to another platform, and Wordpress is surely OK for your needs.
It might take you some time to reupload images if needed, and be sad to lose some comments, but once you have finished to setup, it'll be for the best!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Thanks Kiyora

It might be worth going over old posts and seeing which ones are good enough to bring over (with informative comments too).

A big job but would make the site more useful perhaps...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Kiyora999
Regular

Post by Kiyora999 »

Don't worry, it shouldn't take so much time to import everything and reupload images if needed!
5 years ago I did some kind of similar import, and it took me about 2-3h to import manually more than 300 articles by copy pasting and re-adding images!

The most time-consuming phase is the theme selection and settings but after that you'll be fine.