Need help with Japanese language (Monex account)

Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Need help with Japanese language (Monex account)

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I am in the process of opening an iDeCo account with Monex, as I want to buy into the eMaxis Slim All Country fund.

I am also opening a general account with Monex, because....why not?

As I am non-Japanese, I have to do this via snail mail.

I am filling in the form they sent me and getting copies of my various photo IDs ready to post off.

I just want to confirm the following section of the form:

https://ibb.co/8c2dKt5

Since I already have a つみたてNISA with SBI and am opening an iDeCo with Monex, I want this account to be just a regular taxable account, right?
Are the boxes checked correct?
I am just a regular 正社員 at a Japanese company. Not an executive or anything. My company always handles my taxes. I have never done anything other than hand in the 年末調整 documents every November/December. I then get the 源泉徴収票 each January.

Incidentally, what is the 「特定口座を開設しない(一般口座)」all about?

Thanks for your help.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: Need help with Japanese language (Monex account)

Post by TokyoWart »

I also recently opened a Monex account. It took me almost 2 months to get my Monex account because of the problem of how my name should be registered but eventually it came through. I definitely recommend you get the 特定口座 because it simplifies your taxes. 一般口座 is needed for some situations (I needed one for a different brokerage because I was paid in company stock) but it really doesn't have advantages for you and can force you to file your tax return the hard way (確定申告). With the 特定口座 you can keep doing taxes through your employer unless your income exceeds the limits for individual filing or you have other income sources.

My experience with doing a bank atm 振り込み to Monex has been so-so. The name on your bank account must be exactly the same as on the Monex account for this to work smoothly. I have to go into the name field while doing the transaction to change how my name appears (basically changing one katakana and a space) to make it work. The good news is they only charge 110 yen for sending the money (i.e. my Resona bank charges that money). To avoid this in the future I just got a free Monex Saison card to do deposits directly.

I have used Monex now for a few stock purchases. I don't like the iPhone App but I could make it work okay. The website works well and was easy enough to navigate. The good news for me is that Monex charges a fraction of what Nomura or SMBC do for stock purchases so I am glad I set up the account.

Good luck!
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

Yes this is the best selection. So all the taxes gets calculated and withheld automatically. You dont need to fill in a Kakuteishinkoku with that.

If you chose「特定口座を開設しない(一般口座)」you need to fill in a Kakuteishinkoku as soon as you have earnings from selling or dividends.

Btw, you need to provide 3 documents now for proofing your identity?
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Thanks for your replies.
Looks like I chose the correct options then; good to double check and be sure!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓