Investing for my children

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Investing for my children

Post by RetireJapan »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am Thanks. It seems like that is an ok option if we choose to tie the money up in Japan. But won't CGT apply when they come to cash these investments in, 10, 20 or 30 years down the line? I would expect substantial capital growth by then (assuming 5% average annual investment returns) and then they'll be hit by 20% CGT?

Are accumulation investment vehicles a thing here? A class that automatically invests dividend income back into more units rather than paying out? And if they exist, do they avoid dividend tax?
Junior NISA is tax free until the child is 18. Subsequent capital gains/dividends are taxed normally.

Mutual funds in Japan often reinvest dividends internally. No dividends are paid and no tax is due. They are very tax-efficient. In a taxable account only 20% capital gains tax is due when selling, in NISA there is no tax due, and iDeCo is largely tax-free.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Thanks for the information. I’m just learning about the Tsumitate NISA and the extra layer of complexity that brings to the table. The 20 years free of CGT is very good, just a shame the contribution limits are low. But better than nothing!
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

We can gift each child 1.1 million yen.
Does that have any tax benefits for the parents who give the Money?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Bubblegun wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 am We can gift each child 1.1 million yen.
Don't think so.
Donations which give a tax break are listed here:
https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/ind ... 021/12.pdf

'Gifts to Kids' doesn't seem to be in there.

Of course if you invest it for them, it is technically their money, as well.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

beanhead wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:14 am
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 am We can gift each child 1.1 million yen.
Don't think so.
Donations which give a tax break are listed here:
https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/ind ... 021/12.pdf

'Gifts to Kids' doesn't seem to be in there.

Of course if you invest it for them, it is technically their money, as well.
Thanks for that. I just wondered if there were any tax benefits for the parents.EG lowers the family income.
We do exactly that. We technically put all the money into the NISA/JNISA for them.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.