JNISA investment in 2023 will allow users to freely withdraw funds after 2024 before the age of 18

sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: JNISA investment in 2023 will allow users to freely withdraw funds after 2024 before the age of 18

Post by sutebayashi »

beanhead wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:44 am No more new contributions will be allowed in 2024.
The investments can just be left to grow until the 5 years is up, though.
On the second part, actually I believe the investments in JNISA can be left to grow until around when kiddo turns 18, so depending on how old your kid is, there could be quite a lengthy period of tax free gains to be accumulated.
beanhead
Sage

Re: JNISA investment in 2023 will allow users to freely withdraw funds after 2024 before the age of 18

Post by beanhead »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:37 am
On the second part, actually I believe the investments in JNISA can be left to grow until around when kiddo turns 18, so depending on how old your kid is, there could be quite a lengthy period of tax free gains to be accumulated.
Yes, correct. Good point. Mine are older so forgot about that.
The wording is weird, to be honest. Junior NISA itself is only for 5 years. But if the 5 years is up before they are 18, the account can still grow without being liable for tax until they reach 18. It is just not classed as J-NISA after the 5 years. (I think!)

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/nisa/juniornisa/
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

beanhead wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:31 am
sutebayashi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:37 am
Yes, correct. Good point. Mine are older so forgot about that.
The wording is weird, to be honest. Junior NISA itself is only for 5 years. But if the 5 years is up before they are 18, the account can still grow without being liable for tax until they reach 18. It is just not classed as J-NISA after the 5 years. (I think!)

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/nisa/juniornisa/
Correct! Legacy J-Nisas retain their tax-sheltering. When they sunsetted the program....they vastly improved it for those still in it!

The FSA fought to keep the J-Nisa, so I appreciate them getting this feature passed as consultation of sorts