Best Way to Send Funds to Australia Dec 2018

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: Best Way to Send Funds to Australia Dec 2018

Post by goodandbadjapan »

You need to open the account first and then start the making transfer process before worrying about how to pay. As you are making the transfer it will ask which way you want to pay. Anything you click or try to click before you are actually making a transfer is just explanation stuff. That page you are on about paying with the hyperlink to debit card is just explanation stuff. It is irrelevant to you unless you want to know the rules concerning using a debit card (which you don''t). Just go here https://transferwise.com/login#/ and sign up and follow the instructions.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

I am fairly sure I just did it with that link in my last post. Just clicked it and followed the instructions. Perhaps things have changed as they have grown bigger, but it really used to be very simple to do.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

I wonder if that is to do with the bank account things transfer wise were launching in some countries. If it is just for transferring money, you don't need an account as such (or didn't)- you just sign up and make a furikomi to them as if they were any other person to whom you were making a furikomi. Have never used the app so not sure but I have made probably over 20 transfers all from Japan to the UK without any problems.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
AustinJapan
Regular

Post by AustinJapan »

Finally, after hick-up after hick-up, dead help lines etc., i have verified my Transferwise account and submitted the activation code.

(Their set-up system is full of holes and traps and cudos for those of you just brush aside the obstacles, breeze through, and end up saying, 'It couldn't be easier" or "It's all in Englsih FFS!")

Anyway, I just wonder how you pay. With my old set-up at Go-Remit, I just went to a Bank ATM and chose Furikomi, the account details of which Go=remit had provided me with)

TransferWise? I still don't even know how I wil make payments. Obviously I can log on to their 'Make a Payment Page' , get the exchange rates but then things go awry. They ask if i want to do a manual transfer at a bank which would require me line up and speak to a Bank Teller, give them the codes provided on the screen. It seems like a waste. The 'pay by card option' is also in there somewhere but I have been told it is more expensive that way, which makes me wonder, 'Why don't they just give me some Furikomi details". Of course I called their help line...and you guessed it..not available.

So how do you pay with them, Furikomi?

On the snail mail letter with the activation code is a Tokyo help number. This is a FIRST! Here I go I am trying it..and BANG!! After you go through the menus (including a very nice voice telling me press 2 for English..they say, please call our UK office!! Oh well, at least it was recorded.) They have a feedback thing too...'How was your expereince?" lol. OK so that is a dud.

So does anyone use Furikomi for Transferwise?
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

You just go to your Internet banking and do a furikomi from there to the Transferwise account. That's it. You can go to the bank to do it at the counter, or through an ATM, but if you have Internet banking there is no need. it is basically the same as just doing any domestic furikomi. You should then go back to the Transferwise page and confirm you have made the payment, but other than that it's just a regular domestic furikomi and then they do the international transfer.
AustinJapan
Regular

Post by AustinJapan »

Thanks good bad Japan :D Setting up internet banking next week.
AND they sent me a message with Furikomi details on it just minutes ago!

The reason I didn’t get any furikomi details is because they wanted to wait until my activation code cleared. Meanwhile I could still go online and go through the motions of making a payment, one of which I had to cancel! Crazy. Anyway, just wish they would say something to the effect of, “ Chill, and wait for the activation code, we’ll send the furikomi then...”

I assume and trust that the money sent there will be relayed and arrive safely at my destination branch without further action from me. There was no message to that affect, but it just has to be.. :)

And thanks again for this great site!