A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:35 am I just went to check what is actually in my passport, and - fucks sake - it's gone missing. I keep all the eight passports we have in one place in a folder in my desk drawer and there are now only seven. All of my family deny touching it and I don't remember doing anything with it since I used it last summer to re-enter Japan. Grrrr. At least this thread helped me notice this before I need to travel next quarter, so plenty of time to get a replacement if it doesn't show up in the next week.
Did you check your scanner/printer? Maybe you were making copies? The fireproof safe/bag? Earthquake kit? Perhaps a travel bag or case?

That conveniently hidden pocket in a carry-on, jacket, or moneybelt?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Yeah I checked my travel bag in case it was in an inside pocket. It wasn’t! Most perplexing. I have scanned copies of all the passports on the computer and in the cloud, so I wouldn’t have needed to take it out if I had needed a copy… which I don’t recall needing in the past six months. Maybe it will turn up.. it only had a couple of years of validity left so not the end of the world if I have to get a new one.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:42 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:31 am On a slight side point, what is going to happen when you lose your all-encompassing 'My number card' health insurance, driving license, proof of residency and tax documents- we are going to be well and truly buggered.
Hopefully the procedures for issuing a replacement will be made very easy, something that can be done on the spot on city halls or similar.
Hope springs eternal....
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

Wow, I did not expect to see the thread up to 22 replies when I logged in a moment ago.

As some said, when my friend got to Narita next Friday there wouldn't be a problem with Japanese Immigration because she did not lose her passport which has the stapled in landing card, and the office in Tokyo told me as much last Friday when I went to get the documents for her.

The crux of the matter is that the airline would be very likely to refuse boarding to someone who could not show residency in Japan. It would probably be ok for those holding passports from countries that Japan gives tourist visas upon landing. But as my friend holds an Indian passport she expected to be denied boarding.

When I explained as much to Immigration last Friday, their response was "Naruhodo" and they went off to make the document. So even they were a bit naive about it all.

I don't see why immigration can't paste a stamp with our visa status into our passports AS WELL AS having the Zairyu card.

MC
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:24 pm
Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:42 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:31 am On a slight side point, what is going to happen when you lose your all-encompassing 'My number card' health insurance, driving license, proof of residency and tax documents- we are going to be well and truly buggered.
Hopefully the procedures for issuing a replacement will be made very easy, something that can be done on the spot on city halls or similar.
Hope springs eternal....
Actually, thinking about it, I guess those functions on the MyNumber card will be additional to the current cards we use - driving license, healthcare etc. So if you lose the MyNumber card you can still drive, go to the Dr etc with the current physical carss for each activity. Unless they prescribe mandatory take up of physical MyNumber cards I can’t see the other cards being abandoned?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Tokyo35 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:10 am Wow, I did not expect to see the thread up to 22 replies when I logged in a moment ago.

As some said, when my friend got to Narita next Friday there wouldn't be a problem with Japanese Immigration because she did not lose her passport which has the stapled in landing card, and the office in Tokyo told me as much last Friday when I went to get the documents for her.

The crux of the matter is that the airline would be very likely to refuse boarding to someone who could not show residency in Japan. It would probably be ok for those holding passports from countries that Japan gives tourist visas upon landing. But as my friend holds an Indian passport she expected to be denied boarding.

When I explained as much to Immigration last Friday, their response was "Naruhodo" and they went off to make the document. So even they were a bit naive about it all.

I don't see why immigration can't paste a stamp with our visa status into our passports AS WELL AS having the Zairyu card.

MC
Many moons ago when I was flying with Korean Air, I was asked to present my visa and showed my (then expired) landing visa instead of my Zairyu card, as I was confused by the request.

They said that I was traveling into Japan at my own risk on an expired visa and would likely be refused by immigration. Then someone asked if I had a Zairyu card and everything was peachy. My mistake, but somewhat insightful.

I am a white Canadian male, and I was in Korea. (For context).
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:31 am ....
Actually, thinking about it, I guess those functions on the MyNumber card will be additional to the current cards we use - driving license, healthcare etc. So if you lose the MyNumber card you can still drive, go to the Dr etc with the current physical carss for each activity. Unless they prescribe mandatory take up of physical MyNumber cards I can’t see the other cards being abandoned?
Health insurance cards will still be ditched in 2024, Kishida says
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15082779
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

goran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:13 am
But....
Those who do not possess My Number cards or who have not completed the registration will receive a “certificate of qualification verification,” which can substitute for a health insurance card.

The certificate will be valid for up to five years.
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

Update :

My friend successfully checked in and boarded her flight to Japan via Doha. The airline DID want to see the police report, the photo of her Zairyu card that she stores on her smartphone, and the document I got from Immigration a week ago stating she is entitled to reside and work in Japan until 2027.

MC
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am
goran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:13 am
But....
Those who do not possess My Number cards or who have not completed the registration will receive a “certificate of qualification verification,” which can substitute for a health insurance card.

The certificate will be valid for up to five years.
So, MyNumber card will not be an additional document for health insurance. In other words, you won't have a health insurance card plus Mynumber card, which is what I understood from your initial post. If you don't possess Mynumber card, then you can have the "certification of qualification". But not both.
So, if you possess Mynumber card and lose it, then you don't have a secondary option.