Simple Q&A - NISA

northSaver
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by northSaver »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:47 am Nope. You can only change types mid-year if you haven't used it at all yet.

You'll have to wait for the New NISA (7.2m yen a year for the two of you).
Thanks Ben. I'm also considering a solar installation. Probably a worse investment than NISA though :)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JohKun wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:33 pm For all other funds
What dividend paying funds did you buy? Most mutual funds reinvest internally as far as I know.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

northSaver wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:05 am
RetireJapan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:47 am Nope. You can only change types mid-year if you haven't used it at all yet.

You'll have to wait for the New NISA (7.2m yen a year for the two of you).
Thanks Ben. I'm also considering a solar installation. Probably a worse investment than NISA though :)
Solar power has non-monetary benefits too though, like reducing your environmental impact and making yourself more resilient to power outages :D

We'll definitely be installing it when we move to a house.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

I was wondering how I would go about selling bonds on Rakuten Securities?

Is it possible to sell the whole amount or can I only to sell in increments?

I'm a bit short on cash at the moment so I might have to sell some of my investments.
English instructor from the UK living and working in Tokyo.

Completely new to the whole investment game so forgive my stupid questions. :lol:
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:50 am I was wondering how I would go about selling bonds on Rakuten Securities?

I'm a bit short on cash at the moment so I might have to sell some of my investments.
Are you talking about individual bonds or a bond fund? Which ones?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:33 am
thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:50 am I was wondering how I would go about selling bonds on Rakuten Securities?

Are you talking about individual bonds or a bond fund? Which ones?
Bonds Funds.

Completely new to the whole investment game so forgive my stupid questions. :lol:
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

It depends how you hold the bonds / funds. You should be able to sell as few or as many units / bonds as you like

And how you hold the bonds / funds will also determine whether you need to pay any tax on any gain, either at the time of sale, or in a Kakutei Shinkoku next March...

iDECO - you can't take the money out. You can only switch to other products.

NISA - you can take the money out completely Tax Free

Tokutei Account - you can take the money out and they will withhold the 20% tax on any gain from the proceeds

Regular Account - you can take the money out and you will have to report any gain in a Kakutei Shinkoku and pay any taxes in April 2024.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

Tkydon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:51 am

It depends how you hold the bonds / funds. You should be able to sell as few or as many units / bonds as you like

And how you hold the bonds / funds will also determine whether you need to pay any tax on any gain, either at the time of sale, or in a Kakutei Shinkoku next March...

Tokutei Account - you can take the money out and they will withhold the 20% tax on any gain from the proceeds

Regular Account - you can take the money out and you will have to report any gain in a Kakutei Shinkoku and pay any taxes in April 2024.
It is a Bond Fund in a NISA account.

TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:59 am
Tkydon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:51 am

It is a Bond Fund in a NISA account.
You can sell any amount from 100 yen -> on. However, with the Old Nisa, you will not get this space back. If you have taxable investments, I would sell those first.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

My wife finally decided to open a tsumitate NISA account this year!
Is the emaxis slim all country still the index fund most recommended in this forum?
Since I started my tsumitate NISA 2 years ago only checked it twice, so been away for a while from the forum...