Welcome to the RetireJapan forum

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Welcome to the RetireJapan forum

Post by RetireJapan »

*If your IP address is outside Japan, please contact RetireJapan though the contact form on the website to join the forum. This has become necessary due to large numbers of accounts joining and attempting to post spam. We apologise for the inconvenience*

The answer to the signup question is in the website name :)

Please register and start posting. Let me know if we need more categories. Let me know if you have any problems.

Until you write five posts you will be on probation. That means your posts will have to be approved and you won't be able to send private messages. After that you will be able to post and PM freely.

Once you post twenty times you will become a regular member. At that point please PM retirejapan to be added to the private forum.

This forum is for people living in Japan who are not professionals looking for clients. Any attempt to sell a service directly, either in a post or in a DM, will result in instant deletion of your account.

Members are encouraged to share services they recommend, but direct marketing by financial advisors or money managers is forbidden. This includes using your signature to promote your company or service.

If you receive a direct message from someone of a commercial nature, please let me know.

Have fun!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Re: Welcome to the RetireJapan forum

Post by adamu »

Hello. :-)

Congrats on the new forum.

You should probably set up an SSL certificate for this domain, so that connections are encrypted. Currently passwords and login sessions are sent in the clear, which is not very safe (especially if people reuse an existing password for this site).

It could also be worth trying to import the old forum content to this one.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Thanks adamu! Congrats on being the first user. You shall henceforth be first among equals ;)

Good point about the SSL cert, I think I asked the provider for one yesterday. I'm pretty new to this, so will have a look and see what I need to do.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

The SSL cert looks good! Although the forum is still accessable without it if you use the http URL instead of https. There should be a way to have http requests redirect to the https version.

Also, it looks like (some?) users, me included, are unable to send private messages. ;)
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

Is it possible that the old forum can be imported into phpbb? It would be unfortunate to lose all those discussions.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

That is an excellent question that I would love to know the answer to! I'll look into it next week :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Is it possible to put this site as the Forum link on the main retirejapan page, and have the old forum as an external link?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Steve wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:09 pm Is it possible to put this site as the Forum link on the main retirejapan page, and have the old forum as an external link?
I'm not sure, unfortunately. I suspect not. There is a link to this forum at the top of the old one though, and any time I mention it I put in the new link.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 pm It could be possible? https://easywpguide.com/wordpress-manua ... menu-item/
The current RetireJapan site runs on Weebly, unfortunately :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)