Rakuten or SBI or Monex

Kanto
Veteran

Re: Rakuten or SBI or Monex

Post by Kanto »

sutebayashi wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:03 am I switched to Monex a few years back for the eMAXIS funds (and a failed attempt to be able to see my iDeCo and other investments all in the same account). A little about it here in anyone is interested in the timeline: viewtopic.php?t=108
Thank you! How much time did the transfer take? I contribute 68,000 a month. So, if I missed 3 or so months that would be significant. And perhaps not worth the small difference in cost between Rakuten wrapped VT and Emaxis all country.

The difference in cost is " 0.10% in trust fees and 0.06% in real cost"
https://shintaro-money.com/rakuten-vanguard-vt/#i-6

Wouldn`t the missed contrutions be greater than the total savings on fees?
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

It looks like it took at least 3 months for the complete switch-over, but I don't recall it taking more than 4 months. But yeah I guess my contributions were stopped during that switch-over period.

My motivation to switch was primarily to consolidate my assets under a single broker, so I might have sacrificed a little in returns for that end.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

sutebayashi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:00 am It looks like it took at least 3 months for the complete switch-over, but I don't recall it taking more than 4 months. But yeah I guess my contributions were stopped during that switch-over period.

My motivation to switch was primarily to consolidate my assets under a single broker, so I might have sacrificed a little in returns for that end.
Hmmm my cocktail napkin math says it is not worth it to switch if I miss out on nearly 20万。However, I probably should figure out how to calculate it in excel accounting for compounding interest .....
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

My max contribution limit per month was quite low, due to being in a company DB plan as well, so definitely people should consider their own circumstances.

(Funny how things change. I have left that job, and am enrolled in a DC plan with my new job, and can no longer contribute to my iDeCo anyway, so it was perhaps all a bit moot!)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 am My max contribution limit per month was quite low, due to being in a company DB plan as well, so definitely people should consider their own circumstances.

(Funny how things change. I have left that job, and am enrolled in a DC plan with my new job, and can no longer contribute to my iDeCo anyway, so it was perhaps all a bit moot!)
What was your max contribution limit?
I currently pay 10,000 per month into my (pretty shitty) company DB plan.
I think this means I can still pay up to 13,000 per month into my new iDeCo with Monex, but I might be wrong....

All being well, I will be paying 10,000 yen per month in to the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)through my つみたてNISA with SBI, and a further 10,000 yen each month in to the same fund through my Monex iDeCo. I hope I get decent returns...!

I just hope in the future neither SBI nor Monex stop providing access to the above fund. That would be a major pain in the ass!

Cheers.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Yes, I was contributing a meagre 12,000 a month to iDeCo, while on the company DB plan. Better than zero, but triflingly small.
Spa06Jc
Regular

Post by Spa06Jc »

Resurrecting this thread as my question fits neatly under the same title.

I have been with Rakuten for my nisa for the past two years, but haven't yet set up an iDeCo.

Looking at the advice for starting off, Monex seems the winner given the access to the eMaxis all country fund. I just wondered is it worth the effort to open a separate account with them for an iDeCo, or is it simpler and easier to do the iDeCo through Rakuten and use the Rakuten Vanguard fund instead? Keen to hear some thoughts.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

I would try to set up an account with Monex for the Emaxis All Country.

If you get rejected, then go with Rakuten and the Vanguard wrap.

Regardless, do one of the two. Your iDeco allocation is monthly not yearly. So do not lose money to analysis paralysis.
Spa06Jc
Regular

Post by Spa06Jc »

Thanks - got straight on it after your reply as agree with the paralysis point.

Already received confirmation that documents are in the post.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Monex is probably fine, but just a reminder for others that Matsui also provide eMaxis slim as of October (no experience with either myself)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1084

https://www.matsui.co.jp/ideco/product/