Furusato Nozei: Worth It?

mighty58
Veteran

Re: Furusato Nozei: Worth It?

Post by mighty58 »

The combination of figuring out how it works in the first place, making your choices, paying a big amount out up front, and then waiting for the payback in goods and reduced taxes that may play out over the entire following year, all combine to make furusato nozei not quite "feel" like a good deal... it all just feels mendokusai. However, putting a couple hours of work in for this can pay off quite well. The higher your income, the more value those couple hours will pay (this scheme is shockingly skewed to disproportionately benefit higher earners, but that's a topic for another conversation).

And yes, you're giving a short-term interest-free loan to the J-gov't. Although the theoretical examples given by the OP might be interesting thought experiments, there is no guaranteed alternative investment paying out that kind of return (please point to it if there is). Otherwise, I get a bunch of free stuff in exchange for the provision of the short-term loan, so it's a great deal as far as I'm concerned.

As an aside, I found it interesting that one of the posters managed to get a laptop, as I'd never seen any before. I did a bit of digging and found two currently listed on Rakuten (albeit with uninspiring specs) . However, that led me to discover that Rakuten does have some other appliances that aren't available over on Furusato Choice, like rice cookers (which I just happen to be in the market for, and therefore wouldn't mind getting a free one at all).
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Another pointer for people playing the Rakuten game:

It turns out most of the bonus points through their SPU program are awarded as time-limited points. So you you have to use the points within about 6 weeks of being awarded them, or lose them.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

adamu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 am Another pointer for people playing the Rakuten game:

It turns out most of the bonus points through their SPU program are awarded as time-limited points. So you you have to use the points within about 6 weeks of being awarded them, or lose them.
For what it's worth, Rakuten Pay allows you to use these time limited points for purchases at any merchant that accepts it, which means most combinis and an increasingly number of restaurants and other shops.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I decided to try out the one-stop system, where you get a form from your dontatee, fill it out, send it back with your my number docs, and don't have to bother with a tax return.

After waiting a week with no form, I emailed them and they replied saying it takes 3 weeks, please wait a bit longer.

Considering that the forms have to be submitted by 10 January, if you're not planning on doing a tax return it's probably better to have everything ordered before December.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

adamu wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:53 am I decided to try out the one-stop system, where you get a form from your dontatee, fill it out, send it back with your my number docs, and don't have to bother with a tax return.

After waiting a week with no form, I emailed them and they replied saying it takes 3 weeks, please wait a bit longer.

Considering that the forms have to be submitted by 10 January, if you're not planning on doing a tax return it's probably better to have everything ordered before December.
If we are not doing the one-stop system do we just submit everything with our 確定申告 tax return? I'm doing it for the first time this year and beginning to accumulate the 寄付金受領証明書 but assumed I wouldn't need to do anything until I submit them to my tax preparers in February.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:14 am
If we are not doing the one-stop system do we just submit everything with our 確定申告 tax return? I'm doing it for the first time this year and beginning to accumulate the 寄付金受領証明書 but assumed I wouldn't need to do anything until I submit them to my tax preparers in February.
Yes, if you're doing a tax return I don't think there's any need to submit any extra documentation until then. This is just a special process to prevent Furusato Nozei forcing those who otherwise wouldn't need a to submit a tax return to have to submit one. Full documentation here: https://www.furusato-tax.jp/about/tax_r ... tion-items