MONEX is crap **Avoid** {UPDATE!}

Bushiman
Veteran

Re: MONEX is crap **Avoid** {UPDATE!}

Post by Bushiman »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:59 am Once I had the alias officially registered I was able to get it put on my driving license (in brackets after my alphabet name) and alien registration card. Sadly the zairyu cards no longer allow this.
:shock: Woah! I want this! My old alien registration card had my alias (shortened first name, no middle name, surname -in that order) but now like you say, the zairyu card doesn't. How do I get that alias on my driving license? Should I just take my inkanshoumeishou (that shows both names) to the card issuing centre?

Bonus info' if anyone is wondering... I got my alias from an old, handwritten, out of date gym membership card...
When I first came to Japan, my employer supplied me with a hanko that had the katakana of my abbreviated first name. I used this for a few years without issue, then one day at the City Hall renewing my alien registration card, a few eyebrows were raised and I was asked to prove that I actually used that abbreviation for my name... Only thing in my wallet at the time was said gym membership card. That was proof enough for those guys and I now have bank/security accounts under that alias!? :lol:
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Bushiman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 am How do I get that alias on my driving license?
I can't remember exactly, but I think I showed them my ARC and asked them to match it. Much teeth-sucking ensued, until someone figured out they could just put it in brackets after my name. Every time I renew the driving license they just copy the previous one now.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I got my login documents in the post today for my Monex account. I now realize I didn't even need to set up an actual account with them, as I only intend to use them for my iDeCo, and that is a separate login completely. I already use SBI for my tsumitate-NISA, so will probably only use Monex every now and then. Anyways....I was playing around with their platform just now. Suppose I want to buy into the eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500), not through NISA or iDeCo, just as a regular taxable account purchase. I can see three options:

1) 分配金再投資コース
2) 分配金受取コース
3) 積立申込 (分配金再投資コース)

https://ibb.co/2tPxKCL

I want to reinvest any dividends, for sure, so I know I don't want #2.
But what is the difference between #1 and #3? They both allow me to automatically reinvest dividends....
Can I not choose #3 since I already have a tsumitate-NISA with SBI?

Thanks.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:32 am I got my login documents in the post today for my Monex account. I now realize I didn't even need to set up an actual account with them, as I only intend to use them for my iDeCo, and that is a separate login completely. I already use SBI for my tsumitate-NISA, so will probably only use Monex every now and then. Anyways....I was playing around with their platform just now. Suppose I want to buy into the eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500), not through NISA or iDeCo, just as a regular taxable account purchase. I can see three options:

1) 分配金再投資コース
2) 分配金受取コース
3) 積立申込 (分配金再投資コース)

But what is the difference between #1 and #3? They both allow me to automatically reinvest dividends....

Thanks.
The screen presents you with the options to either receive or invest the dividends. But remember, if the fund does not pay out dividends your choice will be redundant.

1. Single purchase - Reinvest dividends
2. Single purchase - Receive dividends
3. Reuccuring scheduled purchase - Reinvest dividends

I would appreciate confirmation as my Japanese is not great.
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

Your Translation is correct :)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Kanto wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm
Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:32 am I got my login documents in the post today for my Monex account. I now realize I didn't even need to set up an actual account with them, as I only intend to use them for my iDeCo, and that is a separate login completely. I already use SBI for my tsumitate-NISA, so will probably only use Monex every now and then. Anyways....I was playing around with their platform just now. Suppose I want to buy into the eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500), not through NISA or iDeCo, just as a regular taxable account purchase. I can see three options:

1) 分配金再投資コース
2) 分配金受取コース
3) 積立申込 (分配金再投資コース)

Thanks.
The screen presents you with the options to either receive or invest the dividends. But remember, if the fund does not pay out dividends your choice will be redundant.

1. Single purchase - Reinvest dividends
2. Single purchase - Receive dividends
3. Reuccuring scheduled purchase - Reinvest dividends

I would appreciate confirmation as my Japanese is not great.
Thanks.
For some reason I thought you could not do #3 unless it was inside a NISA. Good to know!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
anroy

Re: MONEX is crap **Avoid**

Post by anroy »

fools_gold wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:44 pm I've logged in and I'm looking at my account now. My name is registered as [katakana last name] [space] [katakana first name] [space] [katakana middle name], so it's definitely possible. Are you using a full width space?
Exactly same here on Monex.
Katakana, in that order, with full-width spaces.

I set it up a few years ago and can't even remember if I had headaches with it at the time or not. (Info overload, memory deteriorating with age, and middle name problems too common! :P )

Either way, it shows that it will work out eventually.

Although I'm still not fully comfortable with Monex or using it well, so I'm probably going to have questions on this forum.
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

From what I gather from this thread to open a Monex account, it needs to be done by snailmail. Do you need to register your details online first? I suppose if you have a middle name you combine it with your first name online then change it on the paper version ...
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

MisoSoup wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:27 am From what I gather from this thread to open a Monex account, it needs to be done by snailmail. Do you need to register your details online first? I suppose if you have a middle name you combine it with your first name online then change it on the paper version ...
Yes, only by snail mail.
Yes, I registered online first....I think (I signed up for an iDeCo and a regular Monex account at the same time).
They combined by first name with my middle name, yes.
I had to check my bank were okay with this; they were. (Have yet to have any money taken for the iDeCo though, still getting set up).
I would be amazed if things work out without a hitch...!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

I have just done initial sign up online. I had to fill-in combined first and middle names in romaji and katakana at the top of the form. But near the bottom of the form there is a box where you can fill in your first and middle names with a space between them.

Anyway, I'll see what they send me in Snailmail.