MONEX is crap **Avoid** {UPDATE!}

MisoSoup

Re: MONEX is crap **Avoid** {UPDATE!}

Post by MisoSoup »

Quick follow up: I received a form in the post from Monex which I filled in and sent back with the requested ID photocopies.

Yesterday, I was surprised to get a call from Monex at my home number. They wanted me to confirm the details on the form, my date of birth, address etc... Is it normal to get such a call?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

MisoSoup wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 am Quick follow up: I received a form in the post from Monex which I filled in and sent back with the requested ID photocopies.

Yesterday, I was surprised to get a call from Monex at my home number. They wanted me to confirm the details on the form, my date of birth, address etc... Is it normal to get such a call?
When I was setting up a Monex account a few months ago they called me at home and confirmed those details. In fact, they Googled me and confirmed my employment position and what was listed about me on my company's website.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

"Are you the guy posting in the MONEX is crap **Avoid** thread on RetireJapan?" 😏
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

TokyoWart wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 am When I was setting up a Monex account a few months ago they called me at home and confirmed those details. In fact, they Googled me and confirmed my employment position and what was listed about me on my company's website.
Not Monex, but when I opened a Junior Nisa Account on Rakuten for my son, Rakuten wanted to have a customer-invoice which shows the business field of the company I work for, faxed (...) to them as a proof that the company really exists. Like we have a company business description on our invoices... In the end they just accepted an invoice with some blacked out parts, but that was just a strange way of confirming it.
Last edited by mule96 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

I've just got confirmation back from Monex that they have combined my first and middle names. What are the odds that I will be able to send money from my bank? (The bank has a gap between my first and middle names).
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

MisoSoup wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 am I've just got confirmation back from Monex that they have combined my first and middle names. What are the odds that I will be able to send money from my bank? (The bank has a gap between my first and middle names).
Because of this name problem I cannot do online transfers from my bank to Monex but there are two workarounds:

1. When I do a "furikomi" using an atm at my bank to my Monex account I have to change the katakana spelling of my name in the ご依頼人 field so that it is identical to what is recorded at Monex. When I do that the transfer goes through without trouble.

2. Another workaround is to get a Monex Saison Visa credit/cash card and use it to deposit cash directly into your Monex account.
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:15 am
MisoSoup wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 am I've just got confirmation back from Monex that they have combined my first and middle names. What are the odds that I will be able to send money from my bank? (The bank has a gap between my first and middle names).
Because of this name problem I cannot do online transfers from my bank to Monex but there are two workarounds:

1. When I do a "furikomi" using an atm at my bank to my Monex account I have to change the katakana spelling of my name in the ご依頼人 field so that it is identical to what is recorded at Monex. When I do that the transfer goes through without trouble.

2. Another workaround is to get a Monex Saison Visa credit/cash card and use it to deposit cash directly into your Monex account.
Good ideas! I will use one or both of those options.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:15 am

I just received my application from Monex in the mail, 2 days after applying!

Part of the application is prefilled and includes only my first and last name.

スミス スティーブ

Should I write in my middle name?

スミス スティーブ スティーブ ロバートスミス

(Assuming my name in English is Steve Robert Smith).

Will this get ahead of the issue?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

TokyoWart wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:54 pm I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question.
Okay, Thank you.

I am just trying to avoid the nightmare of merged names.

I will write it in, and see what happens from there.

Cheers.