British Expats Voting in Parliamentary Elections

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Spa06Jc
Regular

Re: British Expats Voting in Parliamentary Elections

Post by Spa06Jc »

Glad there's a lot of interest in this! Given Japan's lack of suffrage for foreigners it's a form of complete disenfranchisement past 15 years, even though as British Nationals we would still be liable for any law changes that affect expats.

So far I've been registered to vote at my parents address since I moved to Japan 10 years ago and have successfully voted by proxy in all general elections and referenda since then. Never had an issue with the yearly renewals - they send letters by post and email me a pdf version, which I respond to online. (Why can't the NI system be so simple?!).
Gareth wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 am I asked the British Embassy in Tokyo about this and they told me to ask the Electoral Commission. I asked the Electoral Commission and they told me to ask the British Embassy in Tokyo
Surely the Electoral Commission are the ones in charge of the system so could have explained the rules - strange that they would ask you to ask the Embassy here! Who did you speak to at the Embassy? Can't imagine they have an electoral commission representative there.

I was thinking to write to my (Labour) MP to see if he can ask the government if it plans to honour the pledge - assume as a current registered voter it would be within my rights to do so... Might be useful if others who are similarly keen to preserve/regain their right to vote did the same?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Spa06Jc wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:56 pm I was thinking to write to my (Labour) MP to see if he can ask the government if it plans to honour the pledge - assume as a current registered voter it would be within my rights to do so...
I voted for my current MP in the last two elections. But they didn't acknowledge a letter I wrote them last year, so I won't be voting for them next time. 😄

You can also write directly to ministers, but I've never tried that.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

I just asked them on the embassy Facebook page. No one in particular.

When I was trying to get my class 2 National Insurance Contributions sorted, I tried emailing the local MP where I last lived in the U.K. He said he couldn’t help because I didn’t live in the constituency. He didn’t even ask if I was registered as an overseas voter.

On a different note, I wonder if we should all lobby the relevant government minister to change the U.K. state pension so it rises with inflation for Brits living in Japan.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I just got my reply from my constituency and they said I’ve passed the 15 year rule and that there is a bill being proposed. However I won’t hold my breath, because of the risk of Scotland wanting its Indy referendum, and Boris et al don’t want the Scots abroad voting to leave the uk. Similar to how they didn’t let UK people in the EU didn’t get to vote either.

As for the pension it would be great to lobby but I’m of the mind Westminster won’t be up for that at all. Especially with the current debt levels. I’m not sure what the brexit deal mentions about pensions but I bet that will be looked at in the future as the UK tries to claw its way back from the current situation.
Infact I expect the triple lock to be removed and the pension age to be increased further.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Waiting, waiting for responses from my MP on both indefinite eligibility to vote and on frozen pension situation.

Not optimistic on either front, but interestingly, my MP has one parent from a frozen pension country and one from an unfrozen country, so might have some motivation to fight this battle (and a very uphill battle it will no doubt be).

Also, interestingly, according to the following source, Japan was fifth on the list of frozen UK pensioners in 2018: https://pensionjustice.org/who-is-affec ... ers-today/

I made a FOI request to try to obtain some more recent data.

Perhaps, over time, we in Japan could become organised and vocal on the matter as those in Australia and Canada are.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Ever the way... just after posting that I was awaiting a response, one came regarding the 15-year rule (the sentiment is great, but no concrete progress):
Letter from Chloe Smith MP, Minister of State for the Constitution and Devolution:

Thank you for your letter of 19 January to The Rt Hon Priti Patel MP on behalf of your
constituent, XXXXXX, regarding the voting rights of British citizens living overseas.
Your letter has been passed on to me, and I am replying as the Minister responsible for this
policy area.

The Government is committed to scrapping the arbitrary rule that prevents British citizens
who have lived abroad for more than 15 years from participating in UK parliamentary
elections, and to making it easier for expats to vote.

Most British citizens overseas retain deep ties to the United Kingdom. Many still have family
here, some will return here. Many will have a lifetime of hard work in the UK behind them,
and some may have fought for our country.

We are considering the appropriate legislative vehicle to deliver these changes, which are
manifesto commitments, and we will make an announcement on our intentions in due course.

I hope that the above provides a satisfactory response to XXXXXX's query. Please pass on my
thanks to him for taking the time to write.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

kuma wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:38 am the 15-year rule
This is great to hear, but honestly speaking if I had to choose just one the two issues I would prefer the pension to be unfrozen. As the Japanese say, hana yori dango (花より団子)
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Looks like there was a commitment in the budget a few days ago to provide money to scrap the 15 year rule.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCJLandale/ ... 9048871936
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Apart from voting once at university since being in Japan being within the 15 year rule, and that was for a referendum on electoral reform. I haven't had the opportunity to vote. I have now been in Japan for 22 years and have been 'disenfranchised' in the UK for seven years, missing out on the Brexit referendum and three general elections. If you are still within 15 years, it is still quite logistically challenging having to register every year with your local council to vote, when an election is called the wheels of local democracy seem to move very slowly in getting your ballot paper for your constituency delivered to your abroad address and then sending it back within a deadline for postal votes. I am absolutely certain there must be a more efficient and faster way for expats to cast their vote.

For the 1945 general election there were millions of British military personnel abroad and all of them got their vote and voted, even if it did postpone the result by a little while. It can be done.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 am If you are still within 15 years, it is still quite logistically challenging having to register every year with your local council to vote, when an election is called the wheels of local democracy seem to move very slowly in getting your ballot paper for your constituency delivered to your abroad address and then sending it back within a deadline for postal votes.
This is not my experience. Annual renewal is just submitting an electronic form online - no need to send any post / scan your signature. Post between Japan/UK usually takes about a week to arrive and that's consistent for ballot papers - although this could vary by constituency - mine seems to send them out quickly enough. For other countries I could see the ballot arriving late, but from Japan if you send it back immediately you should be fine, and you can send it via EMS if you care enough.