Set and forget plan on SBI Select

Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: Set and forget plan on SBI Select

Post by Bubblegun »

That’s is certainly good for thought. I started my vanguard years ago before the IDECO,NISA.

So since it is trundling along quite well,
Would it be worth keeping it there and stop payment ? As a cash fund for an emergency!
Then the monthly payment payed into that moved into the IDECO vanguard ( I think that was via Rakuten) for a more long term( in my 12 years) approach?
I think the hardest thing is out this is the lack of Japanese ability.
This is what we took out.. 6 years ago with a simple annual return of 7.89.

https://www.saison-am.co.jp/fund/vanguard/

https://goodcalculators.com/roi-return- ... alculator/

But atleast I started and aren’t that bad.
Last edited by Bubblegun on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Bubblegun wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:01 pm That’s is certainly good for thought. I started my vanguard years ago before the IDECO,NISA.

Would it be worth keeping it there and stop payment ? As a cash fund for an emergency!
Then the monthly payment payed into that moved into the IDECO vanguard ( I think that was via Rakuten) for a more long term( in my 12 years) approach?
Your priorities should always be iDeco->Nisa->Taxable in that order.

You are basically paying 1% plus for virtually nothing in return. That adds up.

A yearly rebalancing would be 10 minutes of your time. You can handle it with Google translate no problem.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Kanto wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:23 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:01 pm That’s is certainly good for thought. I started my vanguard years ago before the IDECO,NISA.

A yearly rebalancing would be 10 minutes of your time. You can handle it with Google translate no problem.
Thanks for that Kanto.👍
I think that makes better sense in terms of priorities.
Please ignore my ignorance, but when we say “rebalance” what does that means in terms for those who invest in funds as most people seem to “set and forget”
Which I suppose the financial institutions know most people do, (rather similar to the banking system.)
For me the definition of rebalance would be changing wether I buy Ford, GM, Boeing, or Tesla
Or buying bonds.
Sadly I only do funds.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Bubblegun wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Thanks for that Kanto.👍
Please ignore my ignorance, but when we say “rebalance” what does that means in terms for those who invest in funds as most people seem to “set and forget”
Which I suppose the financial institutions know most people do, (rather similar to the banking system.)
For me the definition of rebalance would be changing wether I buy Ford, GM, Boeing, or Tesla
Or buying bonds.
Sadly I only do funds.
Let's imagine you only own two funds. Stock fund A and Bond fund B.

You are conservative by nature, so you decided to have 70% stocks and 30% bonds.

You started investing in April of 2020. Good timing.

You see your stock fund take off like a rocket ship, however Bond rates are incredibly low and that fun barely moves in fact maybe it decreases.

What happens at the end of 2020? Well you are no longer 70% stocks and 30% bonds. You are probably 15% bonds and 85% stocks.

Reallocation is returning to that 70/30 either through buying more bonds or selling stock.

Bonus - iDeco allows you to rebalance inside the fund without penalty.

Make sense?
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Kanto wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks for that Kanto.👍
Or buying bonds.
Sadly I only do funds.

You are conservative by nature, so you decided to have 70% stocks and 30% bonds.

You see your stock fund take off like a rocket ship, however Bond rates are incredibly low and that fun barely moves in fact maybe it decreases.

What happens at the end of 2020? Well you are no longer 70% stocks and 30% bonds. You are probably 15% bonds and 85% stocks.

Reallocation is returning to that 70/30 either through buying more bonds or selling stock.

Make sense?
Ok. So I have one fund. Namely Vanguards via Rakuten.
So, I suppose your saying I should have ANOTHER Fund set up?
Because I as far as I am aware there isn’t a way to change the balance within that fund, or is there?
Excuse my misunderstanding if I’m wrong.
It seems the set and forget seems rather, toooo simple now, and requires further financial education.😭😭😭 and a whole education on navigating the websites..... in Japanese.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Bubblegun wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 am

Thanks for that Kanto.👍
Or buying bonds.
Sadly I only do funds.

Make sense?
Because I as far as I am aware there isn’t a way to change the balance within that fund, or is there?
It seems the set and forget seems rather, toooo simple now, and requires further financial education.😭😭😭 and a whole education on navigating the websites..... in Japanese.
Yes, two funds. One bond fund and one stock fund.

What fund or funds do you currently own exactly? Are they in a Nisa, ideco or taxable account?
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:03 am
Bubblegun wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 am

Make sense?
Yes, two funds. One bond fund and one stock fund.

What fund or funds do you currently own exactly? Are they in a Nisa, ideco or taxable account?
Thanks for that Kanto.

IDECO Vanguard global balanced fund via Rakuten.

I set up a Vanguard Global balanced fund which wasn’t tax efficient years ago but it was just before IDECO and NISA came out.😱😱

I’ve probably got 15 years before full retirement so not sure how that impacts investment and returns.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Thanks for that Kanto.

I set up a Vanguard Global balanced fund which wasn’t tax efficient years ago but it was just before IDECO and NISA came out.😱😱

I’ve probably got 15 years before full retirement so not sure how that impacts investment and returns.

Okay, I will let Shintaro-money do the talking here -> https://shintaro-money.com/saison-vanguard-gbf/

The Saison Vanguard Global Balance Fund is a balance fund that invests 50% each in stocks and bonds worldwide (excluding emerging market bonds) .

By holding 50% of bonds, you can expect relatively mild price movements.

Of course, the return will be lower than 100% stocks, but it is a good asset allocation for those who can not bear the high risk of stocks alone.

In recent years, the cost of index funds has been rapidly reduced, and the cost of the Saison Vanguard Global Balance Fund has become slightly higher . However, its popularity has not declined, stable inflow of funds, and large net assets. It is a fund that has.

This fund is one of the leading options for those who place importance on the hassle and convenience of combining individual funds rather than cost.

セゾン・バンガード・グローバルバランスファンドは全世界の株式・債券に50%ずつ投資するバランスファンドです(新興国債券を除く)。

債券を50%保有する事で、比較的マイルドな値動きを期待できます。

勿論、株式100%よりリターンは落ちますが、株式だけの高いリスクは負えない方にとっては良い資産配分と言えるでしょう。

ここ数年、インデックスファンドの低コスト化が急激に進み、コスト的には若干割高感が出てきたセゾン・バンガード・グローバルバランスファンドですが、依然その人気は衰えず、安定した資金流入、大きな純資産を有するファンドです。

コストより、個別のファンドを組合わせる煩わさ、利便性を重視する方には有力な選択肢の一つとなるファンドです。

If you are happy with that, then everything is rosy.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am
Thanks for that Kanto.

Okay, I will let Shintaro-money do the talking here -> https://shintaro-money.com/saison-vanguard-gbf/

The Saison Vanguard Global Balance Fund is a balance fund that invests 50% each in stocks and bonds worldwide (excluding emerging market bonds) .

By holding 50% of bonds, you can expect relatively mild price movements.

Of course, the return will be lower than 100% stocks, but it is a good asset allocation for those who can not bear the high risk of stocks alone.

In recent years, the cost of index funds has been rapidly reduced, and the cost of the Saison Vanguard Global Balance Fund has become slightly higher . However, its popularity has not declined, stable inflow of funds, and large net assets. It is a fund that has.

This fund is one of the leading options for those who place importance on the hassle and convenience of combining individual funds rather than cost.

セゾン・バンガード・グローバルバランスファンドは全世界の株式・債券に50%ずつ投資するバランスファンドです(新興国債券を除く)。

債券を50%保有する事で、比較的マイルドな値動きを期待できます。

勿論、株式100%よりリターンは落ちますが、株式だけの高いリスクは負えない方にとっては良い資産配分と言えるでしょう。

ここ数年、インデックスファンドの低コスト化が急激に進み、コスト的には若干割高感が出てきたセゾン・バンガード・グローバルバランスファンドですが、依然その人気は衰えず、安定した資金流入、大きな純資産を有するファンドです。

コストより、個別のファンドを組合わせる煩わさ、利便性を重視する方には有力な選択肢の一つとなるファンドです。

If you are happy with that, then everything is rosy.
Thanks for that Kanto, that's pretty good. At the moment I'm pretty OK with Vanguards returns. Not so much with my age, as then I could take more risk knowing time is on my side.
Although I am probably at some point going to start up a NISA.

But I do wonder if I am trying to do too much, in funds and savings, rather than putting all my money in say one or two things.

EG
Vanguard global balanced( started before IDECO.
IDECO vanguard global balanced fund.
NISA.(this month)
UK pension.
Endowment savings.
Japanese pension.
A house in the UK.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I say you can never have too much money, or too many sources of income 8-)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)