ideco withdrawal schedule and tax year

Moneymatters
Veteran

ideco withdrawal schedule and tax year

Post by Moneymatters »

So. Without going back into the horrific details.
Last May time I was advised by some ideco related person on the phone to scheduled my first ideco payment several months into the future.
(To give them time to fire up the fax machines no doubt.)

No problem as the payment would be able to cover the six participating months leading up to it.
So pay in Dec 2020 but that payment would cover the six months of July 2020 - Dec 2020. Easy as.

https://www.resona-tb.co.jp/401k/kojin/kakekin/
Something like that.

Brilliant. Slam dunk. No brainer. Job done.

They took the money from my account in December 2020.

So in January 2021 I expected to get a statement showing I'd invested the 6 months allowance in 2020.

Today I excitedly opened my first ever 確定拠出年金お取引状況のお知らせ.
Three sheets of decent quality paper sent to me through the Japan postal service!

And it's all zeros. No record of any deposit, investment, etc.
Although it shows I've been enrolled for 7 months with a commencement date of June 29th 2020.

My questions. (Other than. Just "why".)

1. Am I able to claim and Tax relief for the six months of ideco I paid in December 2020 for my 2020 tax return? (I suspect not.)

2. Assuming NO to question 1. I guess I need look for a statement in December 2021 with details on the money I paid in Dec 2020 and June 2021.
Those two (six month) payments will form the basis of tax deductions for my 2021 full year tax return. Correct?(They won't be able to add the December 2021 payment I'm assuming).

3. I'm using the JIS&T app. Is there anywhere on that site I can see the schedule for when they'll make the next withdrawal?
Failing that how do I find out what the schedule is moving forward? (I'm just going to assume it's June and December this year.)

4. Apologies if I've asked before. But is it easy to change this so I can use the proper Rakuten interface?
I don't have a Rakuten broker account at this time.

thanks advance.
"That guy"
Kanto
Veteran

Re: ideco withdrawal schedule and tax year

Post by Kanto »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 am So. Without going back into the horrific details.
Last May time I was advised by some ideco related person on the phone to scheduled my first ideco payment several months into the future.
(To give them time to fire up the fax machines no doubt.)

No problem as the payment would be able to cover the six participating months leading up to it.
So pay in Dec 2020 but that payment would cover the six months of July 2020 - Dec 2020. Easy as.

https://www.resona-tb.co.jp/401k/kojin/kakekin/
Something like that.

Brilliant. Slam dunk. No brainer. Job done.

They took the money from my account in December 2020.

So in January 2021 I expected to get a statement showing I'd invested the 6 months allowance in 2020.

Today I excitedly opened my first ever 確定拠出年金お取引状況のお知らせ.
Three sheets of decent quality paper sent to me through the Japan postal service!

And it's all zeros. No record of any deposit, investment, etc.
Although it shows I've been enrolled for 7 months with a commencement date of June 29th 2020.

My questions. (Other than. Just "why".)

1. Am I able to claim and Tax relief for the six months of ideco I paid in December 2020 for my 2020 tax return? (I suspect not.)

2. Assuming NO to question 1. I guess I need look for a statement in December 2021 with details on the money I paid in Dec 2020 and June 2021.
Those two (six month) payments will form the basis of tax deductions for my 2021 full year tax return. Correct?(They won't be able to add the December 2021 payment I'm assuming).

3. I'm using the JIS&T app. Is there anywhere on that site I can see the schedule for when they'll make the next withdrawal?
Failing that how do I find out what the schedule is moving forward? (I'm just going to assume it's June and December this year.)

4. Apologies if I've asked before. But is it easy to change this so I can use the proper Rakuten interface?
I don't have a Rakuten broker account at this time.

thanks advance.
1. I think yes....My ideCo paperwork also does not show my December payments, no one`s does. The paperwork is mailed out before then. I would guess the tax-credit is still received though. I think we just need to note it on our taxes.

3. Sorry I cannot help here.

4. Open up an account first, then you can transfer your iDeco over. You may not be able to do the 1 year's worth at once with Rakuten though, please double-check this.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

I think yes....My ideCo paperwork also does not show my December payments, no one`s does. The paperwork is mailed out before then. I would guess the tax-credit is still received though. I think we just need to note it on our taxes.
Thanks for the response. That sounds nice but I have no evidence to support what I'd be claiming.
As mentioned, the only material I have from JIS&T show zero paid in. (Whilst the purchase is visible on the site.)

I can't be bothered to google again but I distinctly recall something about for people that paid in december should use a hagaki they receive in January as evidence for the 確定申告。

What I'm expecting is a 確定拠出年金 払込証明書 rather than the statement of accounts I received. (Especially as the statement of accounts showed zero money paid in.).

Does anyone here using just JIS&T receive a 確定拠出年金 払込証明書? in the form of a hagaki.
"That guy"
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

I doubt most people on here even know what JIS&T is, to be honest. No one else seems to be using them.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

JIS&T run all the iDeCo accounts, but normally a broker administers the funds, etc. I didn't even know there was an option to invest directly without a broker :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am 1. I think yes....My ideCo paperwork also does not show my December payments, no one`s does. The paperwork is mailed out before then. I would guess the tax-credit is still received though. I think we just need to note it on our taxes.

Just for reference my December 2020 slip included my December 2020 contribution even though the slip was mailed to me 14th of December 2020 and the December 2020 contribution did not leave my assigned bank account (MUFG) until 26th of December 2020.

Saying that though for some reason my November 2020 was missing (But I technically did not contribute November 2020 because for some reason my November 2020 contribution was for September 2020 and October 2020).

My 2020 contributions started 26th of November 2020 and they deducted 2 months worth (September 2020 and October 2020) on 26th of November 2020 and then December contributions on 26th of December 2020

I also submitted my 2020 final tax return 5th of January 2021 (with the September 2020, October 2020, and December 2020 iDeCo contributions on it) and it has already been processed with the money due to me returned from the tax office, so I can confirm that I got the tax relief from my December 2020 contribution too.
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 am JIS&T run all the iDeCo accounts, but normally a broker administers the funds, etc. I didn't even know there was an option to invest directly without a broker :?
Well, Japan Record Keeping Network Co., Ltd. run my account...

https://top.nrkn.co.jp/
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

MisoSoup wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:52 am
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 am JIS&T run all the iDeCo accounts, but normally a broker administers the funds, etc. I didn't even know there was an option to invest directly without a broker :?
Well, Japan Record Keeping Network Co., Ltd. run my account...

https://top.nrkn.co.jp/
No, JIS&T administer all the accounts. All the banks and brokers provide a layer on top of that.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

So there are 3 layers? The broker, JIS&T, and Japan Record Keeping Network?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I don't really know what JRKN is. Sounds like a broker from the website. Is it something else?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)