Simple Q&A - NISA

Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by Moneymatters »

eagleyes wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 am Hello everyone!

I would like to confirm some point. I have invested in NISA same product over several years. In my account, the acquired price shown is the yen-average price from each buy and Rakuten shows me the capital gains or loss against actual price. So far I got it.
Now, I am coming to the NISA 5 years end and I would like to sell only the portion of the product I have purchased in 2018 - not the rest.
If I send an order "please sell 10 shares", is the system going to sell the 2018 10 shares portion and calculate the capital gains/loss against the 2018 acquired price and not the average acquired price?

I am asking because I remember selling one time partially thinking I was going to make gains but instead I finished with (minor) losses so I thought I check again how this works.
https://kabu.dmm.com/nisa/trade/

That seems to say it uses the combined average acquired price when selling but sells the first purchased shares first. And the average purchase price doesn’t change as a result.
"That guy"
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

eagleyes wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 am Now, I am coming to the NISA 5 years end and I would like to sell only the portion of the product I have purchased in 2018 - not the rest.
Any shares bought in NISA in 2018 were already moved to a taxable account at the end of 2022. Did you mean 2019?

If you did mean 2018, then the purchase price was set to whatever the value was at the end of 2022.
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

Yes Sorry it was 2019
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

OK. If you sell 2019 NISA shares before the end of this year, there is no capital gains tax.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

The easiest way to do this (assuming you are not in a hurry) might be to wait until January when the investments will be moved to your taxable account. You can then sell the entire amount, as only the 2019 ones will be moved.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:07 pm The easiest way to do this (assuming you are not in a hurry) might be to wait until January when the investments will be moved to your taxable account. You can then sell the entire amount, as only the 2019 ones will be moved.
This also adds tax calculatuons back into the equation, though, which is avoided by selling this year.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:39 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:07 pm The easiest way to do this (assuming you are not in a hurry) might be to wait until January when the investments will be moved to your taxable account. You can then sell the entire amount, as only the 2019 ones will be moved.
This also adds tax calculatuons back into the equation, though, which is avoided by selling this year.
Not really though. Investments go into tokutei account, broker calculates the (likely minute?) taxable gain/loss over a couple of days and pays any taxes.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Maybe it’s already been asked here so apologises if so.
I have a standard tsumitate NISA, it has about 400,000 in.
Do I have to do anything to prepare for the new NISA next year? Will it just continue or automatically change over?
For context I’m with Rakuten securities. Just doing emaxis slim all country, 10,000 a month. Thinking about increasing this. Worth doing now or waiting until the new NISA starts?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

KCLenny wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:06 am I have a standard tsumitate NISA, it has about 400,000 in.
Do I have to do anything to prepare for the new NISA next year?
No.
KCLenny wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:06 amWill it just continue or automatically change over?
Yes.
KCLenny wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:06 am Just doing emaxis slim all country, 10,000 a month. Thinking about increasing this. Worth doing now or waiting until the new NISA starts?
Worth doing now.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

adamu wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:29 am
KCLenny wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:06 amWill it just continue or automatically change over?
Yes.
Cool! So I have my TNISA running now at ¥4man a month (the ¥33,333 + ¥6,667 thanks to a late start in the year). Does this mean I don't have to do anything and it'll continue to invest ¥4man a month into the same eMaxis Slim All-Country? If so, that's great!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...