Simple Q&A - NISA

beanhead
Sage

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by beanhead »

RetroNewbie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:34 am I haven't seen anything about a document. There's just a button to cancel the NISA on the SMBC Direct website.
The document is sent to you after you complete that process on the website.

Rakuten's NISA section has this option:
金融機関変更手続き(楽天証券 ⇒ 他社)
All brokers will have something similar.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
putafeche
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by putafeche »

Hello,
First time to post. Been reading off and on over the last couple of years, but not keeping track and forgetting most stuff.
I'm a complete beginner to investing.
I finally got my Monex online NISA account setup, trying to get as much possible in by the end of the year.
I do remember reading the tsumitate is better/safer for the old NISA since there is a 20 year period.
I was planning on putting in 400,000 if possible (maximum allowance?) in tsumitate by the end of the year.
As well, my wife also has 1-3 million hiding under our mattress that she is willing to put into NISA as well (we will share my account).

So questions:

Can (how can) I put 400,000 into tsumitate NISA by the end of the year?

What is the best strategy for investing the lump sum of 1-3m? Wait until new 2024 NISA (tsumitate for 1.2 and the rest in regular NISA), or max out 2023 (if possible-not sure how/how much)?

And the emaxis slim all country is the way to go?

I appreciate any advice, and have a great holiday season!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am Can (how can) I put 400,000 into tsumitate NISA by the end of the year?
Welcome! I think you are too late to use 2023 tsumitate NISA at this point. Just put it all in the new NISA from next month.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am As well, my wife also has 1-3 million hiding under our mattress that she is willing to put into NISA as well (we will share my account).
Recommend opening two accounts (it is not possible to 'share' an account). That would give you twice as much NISA allowance to use.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am 1-3 million hiding under our mattress
I guess it depends on the performance of the mattress.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

In SBI I sold some US stock recently and want to set a buy limit order by, say, Jan 5th.

If I want to buy All Country (a Yen fund), the page gives me the options of 特定預り/一般預り, NISA預り(成長投資枠) and 旧NISA預り. So I can choose between existing and new NISA (for the new NISA, presumably it delays a day or two, or just lets me pay in early).

However, if I want to buy (back) US stock (under the 'foreign currency denominated' tab), it just gives me the options of 特定, 一般 and NISA. I presume that's the new growth part of the new NISA...but I can't see anywhere that confirms it? Would hate to rebuy in my 2023 NISA...
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I'm not sure but it looks like this page explains it.
https://go.sbisec.co.jp/lp/lp_nisa_tsuk ... 31110.html

It looks like today is the last day you can buy funds for the old NISA, but it depends on the delivery date which is different per investment.
banders wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:27 am Would hate to rebuy in my 2023 NISA...
Why? It's better to max out the old NISA before the new NISA starts next year.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Thanks for the link. Yes, it says today 6pm but another linked page lists Local execution date, Domestic trade date and Domestic delivery date as 26th, 27th and 28th for US stocks. So still confused. Guess I should wait until tomorrow.
adamu wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:42 am
banders wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:27 am Would hate to rebuy in my 2023 NISA...
Why? It's better to max out the old NISA before the new NISA starts next year.
Actually it turns out this is impossible for me anyway since my 2023 NISA is already maxed out. But generally, I just want to wrap up the old NISA processes ASAP and avoid having to deal with tax. But I see the reasoning against that, too.
putafeche

Post by putafeche »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 am
putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am Can (how can) I put 400,000 into tsumitate NISA by the end of the year?
Welcome! I think you are too late to use 2023 tsumitate NISA at this point. Just put it all in the new NISA from next month.
Cheers, glad to start the ball rolling, and this site is a huge help. Sorry for the late reply, been a whirlwind holidays so far. Will start investing in January in NISA.
putafeche

Post by putafeche »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:48 am
putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am As well, my wife also has 1-3 million hiding under our mattress that she is willing to put into NISA as well (we will share my account).
Recommend opening two accounts (it is not possible to 'share' an account). That would give you twice as much NISA allowance to use.
That would be the ideal answer, yes :D