Simple Q&A - iDeCo

soundofsilver
Regular

Re: Simple Q&A - iDeCo

Post by soundofsilver »

Ah, thanks a lot! That makes sense. I guess I should have looked more closely at that list :roll:
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

Hi, The ol' lady's been on my case to find some investments for our future savings and I've been reading up on iDeCo on RJ the past two days like mad.It seems many are doing the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー). I want to do a 'set and forget' if that allows. But trying to understand the benefits of this fund. I turn 55 early next year,so iDeCo's till 70 deal seems the best thing to do.Are there any pointers for a pretty much unsavvy guy to know? I've read a diversification of Japanese and foreign stocks with some bonds maybe,at the lowest fees.Does eMaxi fit that bill?
And my wife says using your "My Number" card is a must. Is that so? I haven't read anything saying that though.Thanks a lot for any input.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Cracaphat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:08 am Hi, The ol' lady's been on my case to find some investments for our future savings and I've been reading up on iDeCo on RJ the past two days like mad.It seems many are doing the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー). I want to do a 'set and forget' if that allows. But trying to understand the benefits of this fund. I turn 55 early next year,so iDeCo's till 70 deal seems the best thing to do.Are there any pointers for a pretty much unsavvy guy to know? I've read a diversification of Japanese and foreign stocks with some bonds maybe,at the lowest fees.Does eMaxi fit that bill?
And my wife says using your "My Number" card is a must. Is that so? I haven't read anything saying that though.Thanks a lot for any input.
Keep reading, there are dozens of threads which will help. You haven't given much detail on your current situation, so answers below are general:

- yes, iDeCo is good for you as long as you plan to retire in Japan. Growth is tax-free, and it reduces your taxable income too.
This alone may not be enough, depending on your situation. If your iDeCo max is 23,000 per month, extrapolate that across the 15 years, maybe double it, and see if you think that number will suffice (about 8 million yen?). If not, also consider NISA or more likely tsumitate NISA in addition.

-in iDeCo or tsumitate NISA you can choose a couple of funds (or even just one), set and forget.

-benefits of eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)? Low cost, diversified equity fund. For a long-term investment, 1-fund strategy, it is perfect.

-diversification - as above, the All Country includes the largest publicly-listed stocks, by size, so no further 'strategy' is needed for equity.
You mention bonds. It is advisable to have cash, bonds or REITs, basically something which does not move in tandem with stock-market rises and falls, to balance out your portfolio.
Since bonds or REITs will have lower returns than equity funds, most people would advise to put this into a taxable account. You don't want the tax-free growth benefits of the iDeCo or NISA account to be reduced by including investments which do not grow much.

-MyNumber - as with all financial transactions in Japan now, you will need to share your number with the securities company to get things started. The physical card itself is not needed though. (It is becoming more useful now, though, so probably worth getting anyway in my opinion.)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

beanhead wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:41 pm
Cracaphat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:08 am Hi, The ol' lady's been on my case to find some investments for our future savings and I've been reading up on iDeCo on RJ the past two days like mad.It seems many are doing the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー). I want to do a 'set and forget' if that allows. But trying to understand the benefits of this fund. I turn 55 early next year,so iDeCo's till 70 deal seems the best thing to do.Are there any pointers for a pretty much unsavvy guy to know? I've read a diversification of Japanese and foreign stocks with some bonds maybe,at the lowest fees.Does eMaxi fit that bill?
Keep reading, there are dozens of threads which will help. You haven't given much detail on your current situation, so answers below are general:

- yes, iDeCo is good for you as long as you plan to retire in Japan. Growth is tax-free, and it reduces your taxable income too.
This alone may not be enough, depending on your situation. If your iDeCo max is 23,000 per month, extrapolate that across the 15 years, maybe double it, and see if you think that number will suffice (about 8 million yen?). If not, also consider NISA or more likely tsumitate NISA in addition.

-in iDeCo or tsumitate NISA you can choose a couple of funds (or even just one), set and forget.

-benefits of eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)? Low cost, diversified equity fund. For a long-term investment, 1-fund strategy, it is perfect.

-diversification - as above, the All Country includes the largest publicly-listed stocks, by size, so no further 'strategy' is needed for equity.
You mention bonds. It is advisable to have cash, bonds or REITs, basically something which does not move in tandem with stock-market rises and falls, to balance out your portfolio.
Since bonds or REITs will have lower returns than equity funds, most people would advise to put this into a taxable account. You don't want the tax-free growth benefits of the iDeCo or NISA account to be reduced by including investments which do not grow much.

-MyNumber - as with all financial transactions in Japan now, you will need to share your number with the securities company to get things started. The physical card itself is not needed though. (It is becoming more useful now, though, so probably worth getting anyway in my opinion.)
Thanks so much for your prompt and clear explanation Beanhead. Appreciate it a lot. Your, in general terms explanation, is what I needed.We're self-employed,but 68,000 is way too much monthly and have a soon to be high school daughter. So thinking ahead that work will slow down or we will soon enough :lol: and need to help supplement when that happens.We joined a small scale mutual aid thingy three years ago (Shookibo kyosai in Japanese),but need more than that.Like you suggested,maybe I'll have to look at Nisa too,My Number notwithstanding.Thanks a lot again.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Cracaphat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:56 pm
Thanks so much for your prompt and clear explanation Beanhead. Appreciate it a lot. Your, in general terms explanation, is what I needed.We're self-employed,but 68,000 is way too much monthly and have a soon to be high school daughter.
No problem.
I ensured buy-in from my better half by starting her with iDeCo and NISA as well. Previously all investment money had been in my name.
She is a perfect long-term investor in that she NEVER looks at her portfolio :P
It may be an idea to set up accounts for your wife as well if you are both working. Especially for those iDeCo income tax benefits.

And, yeah, I can sympathize with high school costs. I have more than 1 going through it now. And when that is done, they want to go to college... :shock:
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:26 am And, yeah, I can sympathize with high school costs. I have more than 1 going through it now. And when that is done, they want to go to college... :shock:
We had three in private university and high school at the same time :shock:

On the plus side, when they graduate you will not believe how much spare money you will have :lol:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:12 am
beanhead wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:26 am And, yeah, I can sympathize with high school costs. I have more than 1 going through it now. And when that is done, they want to go to college... :shock:
We had three in private university and high school at the same time :shock:

On the plus side, when they graduate you will not believe how much spare money you will have :lol:
WIth 1 in Hoikuen, and 1 on the way we are doing all our investing early (including J-Nisa). We are afraid there will be nothing left to invest when they hit JH and we need to start paying in earnest.
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

Reading you guys with two and three kids,makes me wonder why I'm whingeing about just the one.The high school she's aiming for is a five year one,so the wife and I are like "please,please, please get in." Not to her though.But the reduction in school costs would go down well. :D
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
HeavyMetal
Regular

Post by HeavyMetal »

Couple simple questions -
1. If I want to get my money on iDeco account become "tax free" - do I have to certainly BUY some asset?
Or, once I just transfer the money and they reach my iDeco account - they become tax free (means I can report to tax office I paid them to get this amount exempted, same I do with life insurance for example)
Asking because account is ready but I don't feel it's a good time to buy anything, now. Wonder if there's point in just transferring money from bank to iDeco.
2. I heard you can only buy few funds, on iDeco account. Could anyone please help with providing a link to list of such funds, for Monex?
Thanks!!