RetireWiki.jp - latest updates and discussion

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
adamu
Sage

RetireWiki.jp - latest updates and discussion

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan is great. I found this site not long after moving to Japan back in 2014, it's been a faithful companion throughout my Japanese investment journey, and this forum has become somewhat of a guilty pleasure over the years. 😇

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people new to the forum have many similar questions. Often, the topics have already been covered in previous discussions, but it's hard to find them, the information goes out of date, and even if you do find relevant information, you need to parse it out of an old discussion. From the perspective of someone responding to questions, I started to feel a hesitance to reply to some posts when I feel like I've already replied about that topic, or it's been covered recently by somebody else - even though the poster doesn't know that and it's no fault of theirs.

For that reason I thought it would be great if there was a central knowledge-base we could build up. Not to replace the forum, but as a useful repository to link to for common issues. Even better if it's editable by anyone, to make it a community effort. Information can (theoretically) be written once, and kept up to date by others, benefiting everyone who subsequently reads it.

So I created https://retirewiki.jp/. I'm hoping it can become a useful English-language repository of information for people living long-term and retiring in Japan.

⚠️ This is my first time running a wiki. Please be tolerant if there are technical issues 🙏🏼

For the time being, I guess I'll be the sole or main contributor, but it's a wiki so anybody interested please sign up ☺️. Especially people who can write, as I definitely can't. 😆 Right now, it's a clean slate. The great thing about a wiki is that it's editable - so nothing has to be perfect. It's more helpful to get some incomplete information up, and improve it later, than write the perfect article from the start.

For both quality control and my own sanity against an army of spambots, I've made it by application only for now. I know that's not in the spirit of a wiki. Maybe if it becomes successful, the servers can be upgraded, and a moderator community could keep spam in check, allowing it to be opened up. But in the mean time, please send me a PM here on the forum, or email me as per the instructions on the wiki if you'd like to join. The only requirements are that you live in Japan, are not signing up to self-promote, and generally behave well. 😎

edit: typos 📝
edit2: Renamed thread as it's more of a latest updates than an announcement thread now.
Last edited by adamu on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Announcing RetireWiki.jp

Post by RetireJapan »

Fantastic stuff adamu! I have high hopes for your wiki :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Great idea and thank you for the time and effort setting it up. Will check it out in more detail later.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Excellent work! A much-needed resource for the community. :D
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

Great idea! Thanks for making this.
jcc
Veteran

Post by jcc »

This is great. I was going to contribute but you already covered the bit I'm informed about, and it looks good to me!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

jcc wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:57 am This is great. I was going to contribute but you already covered the bit I'm informed about, and it looks good to me!
If you notice any errors / things that are unclear or come up with any other ideas, always welcome to chip in later!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Started the iDeCo article, but it's looking a bit bare... think this one is going to take a while to flesh out, especially as it's the one I'm least familiar with all the details. Might come back to it in the weekend.

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/iDeCo
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Another threadbare article, but started one on currency conversion: https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Currency_conversion