Sage

Re: RetireWiki.jp - latest updates and discussion

Post by adamu »

CAM wrote a new article about Inheritance Tax ✨
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Does anybody have any opinion on the new Vector 2022 skin that the Wikimedia Foundation are deploying as the default on their wikis?

You can see a demo here:

Current "old" Vector 2010 (the default on retirewiki.jp): https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Main_Page

Vector 2022: https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Main_Page?us ... ector-2022

You can also add ?useskin=vector-2022 to the URL of any page to see the page with the new skin.

Edit: clarifying after Gulliver's comment: this only applies to viewing from the Desktop. The mobile skin is unchanged.
Last edited by adamu on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

I like the fresh and "lighter" new 2022 look.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

I took an in-depth look at the wiki for the first time and I’m liking what I’m seeing. Nice work. I wish it had been up when I first moved here!

An omission that jumped out at me was a topic about renting and real estate. As a noob this would’ve been of great benefit. I definitely grew a few gray hairs trying to negotiate those waters on my own.

On the Vector skin: The old one looks much better on a phone. The font on the new one is much too small.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Gulliver wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm An omission that jumped out at me was a topic about renting and real estate. As a noob this would’ve been of great benefit. I definitely grew a few gray hairs trying to negotiate those waters on my own.
You are welcome to apply for an account and add it. The wiki relies on the efforts of the people with the knowledge to share what they know.
Gulliver wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm On the Vector skin: The old one looks much better on a phone. The font on the new one is much too small.
There is a different skin used on mobile so it shouldn't be a problem there, the change would only apply to the Desktop version. I've clarified the earlier message.
mikele3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:56 pm I like the fresh and "lighter" new 2022 look.
Personally I'm not a fan, it feels blocky and has too much whitespace. However I've been staring at the old one for years, so this could just be resistance to change. I'm thinking of switching it.
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

adamu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:39 pm
mikele3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:56 pm I like the fresh and "lighter" new 2022 look.
Personally I'm not a fan, it feels blocky and has too much whitespace. However I've been staring at the old one for years, so this could just be resistance to change. I'm thinking of switching it.
I guess in part is a matter of personal taste, as I am a minimalist at heart.

IMO, considering only the landing page, I find the "new" look less noisy, with only a few useful elements to look at and the rest accessible through a convenient menu on the top left, where it is expected to be.

Overall, in every page, the content space is narrower, which is much easier to look at and read through, this an accepted fact and pretty much a current standard.

According to chatGPT :D
ME: best practice for the most readable content width in an html page

BOT: For the most readable content width in an HTML page, it is recommended to:

Keep it between 500-800 pixels: Research suggests that a content width between 500-800 pixels is optimal for readability and comfort for most people.

Use line length as a guide: Aim for a line length of around 45-75 characters, including spaces. This will make the text easier to read without having to constantly move their eyes from one end of the line to the other.

Make text scalable: Ensure that text can be scaled up for accessibility by using relative units, such as "em" or "rem," for font sizes, rather than absolute units like "px."

Use good typography: Choose a clear and legible font type and size, and set appropriate line heights and letter spacing to improve readability.

Test on different devices: Test the layout and readability on different devices, including desktop computers, tablets, and smartphones, to ensure it looks and functions correctly on all devices.
Billy

Post by Billy »

adamu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 pm CAM wrote a new article about Inheritance Tax ✨
Thank you for this, it was very informative. I am always shocked at how illogical and unintuitively arbitrary tax law is, especially in Japan.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

adamu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 pm CAM wrote a new article about Inheritance Tax ✨
The phrase,“all of which is "visible" to Japanese tax authorities” peaked my interest. In what ways would inheritance not be visible to JTA?
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Gulliver wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:18 am
The phrase,“all of which is "visible" to Japanese tax authorities” peaked my interest. In what ways would inheritance not be visible to JTA?
Without looking thru the article to see where that occurred, I'd take it to mean that everything is visible--not that some things or aspects of it will not be (perhaps enticing you to cheat a little).

I think with the common reporting standards (at least for the US), the NTA can get access to most anything that the IRS can see. While there may be some limits, or it may take some time, I'd assume that there are no limits (full transparency), rather than not declaring something and gambling that the NTA will not be wise to it (which could mean penalties).
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

captainspoke wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 am
Gulliver wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:18 am
Without looking thru the article to see where that occurred, I'd take it to mean that everything is visible--not that some things or aspects of it will not be (perhaps enticing you to cheat a little).

I think with the common reporting standards (at least for the US), the NTA can get access to most anything that the IRS can see. While there may be some limits, or it may take some time, I'd assume that there are no limits (full transparency), rather than not declaring something and gambling that the NTA will not be wise to it (which could mean penalties).
That is also my understanding of NTA access.

If that is how it was meant to be understood, the quotations should be removed and visible should be changed to discoverable In order to clear up the appearance of double entendre.