Switching mobile phone operators

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Steve

Switching mobile phone operators

Post by Steve »

I’ve been considering switching out of Au for a while, but my main concern is the loss of speed and connectivity. I’m quite a heavy mobile internet user (long train journeys filled with online news reading, games and and occasionally video, my phone is my car’s gps, and I also use the internet at work which means I need a fast and reliable connection), as is my wife.

How does the speed and connectivity of the cheaper providers compare to the big three, for those of you who have made the switch?

Cheers and happy New Year to all.

Steve
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Switching mobile phone operators

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi Steve

I switched to Aeon Mobile last year (wrote a couple of blog posts about it on the site). They use the DoCoMo network, so data has been fine so far. I currently have a 12 GB monthly allowance because I use my phone as a hotspot for my students every day and found I was running out with 6GB. No problem running four tablets and a laptop off my mobile connection.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Aeon mobile sounds interesting, especially their shared plan! Would you be able to post a Speedtest result (you would need to install that app) when using mobile data during daytime? I have tried using a Docomo MVNO a few years ago (B-mobile) and the performance was so appalling that I switched back to Softbank (well, Y-mobile) after less than a month. I would love to reduce my bill though, currently paying around 4500Y for 3GB, but don't want to trade too much on the network speed.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

N00bster wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 am Would you be able to post a Speedtest result (you would need to install that app) when using mobile data during daytime?
Just tried it: 20.6 down, 8.54 up. I'll try to remember to do it in the daytime tomorrow :)

How does that compare, by the way? Don't really have a frame of reference...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

I've been on B-mobile for a few years. Have Never had a problem with speed. I regularly stream radio and sometimes Netflix. Must be location related? Just did the test - 5.58Mbps. Not so great lol. Tried on my wife's DMM mobile - 27.6Mbps. Flets hikari - 130Mbps.
Steve

Post by Steve »

All very helpful, thanks. I just got 12.3 Mbps on Au, which seems just fine. Will also try it at different times of the day and see how it compares to everybody else’s numbers.

Cheers.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am
N00bster wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 am Would you be able to post a Speedtest result (you would need to install that app) when using mobile data during daytime?
Just tried it: 20.6 down, 8.54 up. I'll try to remember to do it in the daytime tomorrow :)

How does that compare, by the way? Don't really have a frame of reference...
Currently 11.21 down, 15.14 up on Y-mobile, so your result is absolutely decent if it holds during a working weekday (esp. between 12 and 14).

My main concern is putting my hands on a good terminal that is not an iPhone. If only I could find a sim-free Pixel phone for a reasonable price...
Steve wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 pm All very helpful, thanks. I just got 12.3 Mbps on Au, which seems just fine. Will also try it at different times of the day and see how it compares to everybody else’s numbers.
Not fantastic but definitely much better than when I tried myself (was way, way below 1Mbps, watching Youtube at the lowest resolution was impossible). Looks like they got better in the meantime.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Aeon Mobile again:

32.94 down, 13.0 up.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Steve

Post by Steve »

When doing the speed test, make sure you’re not connected to your home wifi, as you’ll end up with very different numbers.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Ha, ha indeed :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)