Please share this article

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Please share this article

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi everyone

Quick favour to ask: I wrote a short introductory article (gateway drug?) to investing and retirement in Japan, and it would be great if you could share it to your social media, any groups you're in, colleagues, etc.

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/retiring-in- ... -strategy/

It might change someone's life, and/or get us some more members here on the forum :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Re: Please share this article

Post by adamu »

Great article, and thanks for the wiki plug. Retweeted 🐦👍
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:29 am Hi everyone

Quick favour to ask: I wrote a short introductory article (gateway drug?) to investing and retirement in Japan, and it would be great if you could share it to your social media, any groups you're in, colleagues, etc.

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/retiring-in- ... -strategy/

It might change someone's life, and/or get us some more members here on the forum :)
Great article.

You may want to make a quick correction.
I should mention briefly that U.S. citizens do not have many suitable options for investing in Japan due to US tax laws and regulations. Most people find it easiest to invest with a U.S. f broker. More on that later.
Not sure how the F snuck in there.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Kanto wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 am You may want to make a quick correction.
I should mention briefly that U.S. citizens do not have many suitable options for investing in Japan due to US tax laws and regulations. Most people find it easiest to invest with a U.S. f broker. More on that later.
Ah, thanks! That's hilarious. I sent it to the editor (don't have access to the back end).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

minor nitpick: the article says that Japanese brokers require you to close accounts when leaving Japan. That's true, but not for iDeCo. I'm not sure what actually happens in practice though - my understanding is that they will keep the account in a holding state and start paying out when you reach retirement age - but maybe there will be exceptions for people that move abroad eventually.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:39 am minor nitpick: the article says that Japanese brokers require you to close accounts when leaving Japan. That's true, but not for iDeCo. I'm not sure what actually happens in practice though - my understanding is that they will keep the account in a holding state and start paying out when you reach retirement age - but maybe there will be exceptions for people that move abroad eventually.
Ah, good catch. Yeah, currently if you leave Japan you can no longer pay into iDeCo but can still manage the account: rebalance, change allocations, buy and sell funds.

However, there is talk of allowing non-Japanese residents to close and cash out the account when they leave Japan (part of the drive to attract high value workers).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Zanuhesu

Post by Zanuhesu »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:25 am
Kanto wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 am You may want to make a quick correction.
Ah, thanks! That's hilarious. I sent it to the editor (don't have access to the back end).
In the same vein, at the end of the "Japanese Pension" part it says
For a deep dive into nankin, check out our GaijinPot guide to ...
I assume that's supposed to be nenkin ;)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Zanuhesu wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:34 am
For a deep dive into nankin, check out our GaijinPot guide to ...
I assume that's supposed to be nenkin ;)
Ooooh, dear.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Done.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
frodesky

Post by frodesky »

You mention in the article that Americans shouldn't use ideco or nisa - are there any resources that confirm this? What happens if an American actually set up nisa/ideco?