So who's actually retired in Japan?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
JimNasium
Veteran

Re: So who's actually retired in Japan?

Post by JimNasium »

Jed331 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:29 am One thing to seriously consider is how close shops and medical facilities are …. I know for me I don’t plan to drive once I am passed 70.
I thought it was interesting I hear this kind of thing constantly when people are talking about building a house or thinking about where to live long term. I can’t remember anyone back home talking about proximity to hospitals or clinics when deciding on a home.
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

Yes, fair point, but the weather here has harsher extremes than where I come from and we get snow here where I live
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

JimNasium wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:04 am I thought it was interesting I hear this kind of thing constantly when people are talking about building a house or thinking about where to live long term. I can’t remember anyone back home talking about proximity to hospitals or clinics when deciding on a home.
One factor is probably the real estate market. In most countries it is possible to sell your home and downsize/move to a different one if you need to, but less so in Japan.

Also people live longer here, so the practicalities of being (very) old might be on people's minds more. My wife's parents are in their 90s for example and we spend a fair amount of time helping them logistically with transport etc.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Isodora
Regular

Post by Isodora »

I thought it was interesting I hear this kind of thing constantly when people are talking about building a house or thinking about where to live long term. I can’t remember anyone back home talking about proximity to hospitals or clinics when deciding on a home.
[/quote]

So what do people in your country do, once they cannot get around anymore? Do they all have family who take care of them or can afford to retire in a nice senior home? This is a real question 😊.

For me it is 当たり前 - no matter which country - thst the closer you live to the (walkable) infrastructure the longer you can enjoy some independence.

We are in the city, but not really close to the infrastructure, so once I have to give up the bicycle and once we cannot walk longer distances or to the bus stop anymore, we may have to move closer to the shops, doctors and etc.. countryside or even purely residential areas, may be ok when you are youngish/middle aged - in old age that can quickly become a nightmare/trap.

I therefore study the real estate offers regularly - well mainly as a hobby really, but also - to see the trends and what’s out there.

The whole thread is very interesting by the way - thank you SARS 😊- somehow overlooked it, when I first browsed through the forum.
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

Since the Occupations: What do you do? thread has got a bit of an update, and since that thread was intended as a sort-of-companion to this one, perhaps we should get an update on who is actually retired in Japan. So raise your hands, retirees, and let us know how you're faring.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I get to post in both threads I guess: FI but still doing this and that :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

On the retirement community topic, I found this:
https://www.sunshinevillage.com.au
Still a concept not real homes.

I am not sure if their business plan will be successful.
From 'The Plan' section:

The Plan - Part 2

Use Australian retirees as influencers.

Invite a group of Australian retirement village residents to come to Japan as Influencers. This group of active silvers will live in the newly constructed villages in Japan for a period of up to 3 months. For comfort, we suggest the spring/summer and summer/autumn seasons as the best fit!

*Australians entering Japan on a tourist visa are entitled to stay up to 90 days

Hmmm...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

To keep this thread going...

I was cleaning and reorganizing some books and noticed this one: On Turning Sixty-Five.

Someone sent that to me at some point close to retirement. I don't remember reading much of it, certainly not all of it, but I did browse it some, and it seems to be rated well.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

What would you'll do differently if you were to go back to your mid 30s?

I'm wishing now, in my mid-30s I had studied language more seriously. But beyond that, no major regrets so far.
Tōhoku
Regular

Post by Tōhoku »

What would you'll do differently if you were to go back to your mid 30s?
That is something I'd love to hear what people on the forum would have to say as I'm in my early 30's now and just starting my investing journey and Japanese language learning.

My 20's was a time of fun and adventure (lots of overseas travel), building a career and finishing a Bachelor degree. Now that I've crested the 30 mark I want to seriously plan out my financial future.

Learning more Japanese is definitely high on my list as I'm really only in the beginning stages. What is everyone's advice on accelerating language learning? I'm thinking to take an intensive course at a school. Really living and breathing it rather than just trying to study in the evenings which is tiring after working all day and doing the rudimentary house chores, commuting etc.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but still an interesting topic to discuss!