So who's actually retired in Japan?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: So who's actually retired in Japan?

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Tōhoku wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 pm
What would you'll do differently if you were to go back to your mid 30s?
That is something I'd love to hear what people on the forum would have to say as I'm in my early 30's now and just starting my investing journey and Japanese language learning.

Things I did in my 30s:

Got married at 32
Started my school at 33
Took out a mortgage and bought my house at 35
Started one of those awful off-shore investment fund things through a 'financial advisor' at 37.

The last one is the one I would not have done in hindsight. I should have taken control of my own investing, but it took almost another 10 years before I did so!
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:44 pm
Tōhoku wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 pm
What would you'll do differently if you were to go back to your mid 30s?
That is something I'd love to hear what people on the forum would have to say as I'm in my early 30's now and just starting my investing journey and Japanese language learning.

Things I did in my 30s:

Got married at 32
Started my school at 33
Took out a mortgage and bought my house at 35
Started one of those awful off-shore investment fund things through a 'financial advisor' at 37.

The last one is the one I would not have done in hindsight. I should have taken control of my own investing, but it took almost another 10 years before I did so!
minus two years from each one and I am exactly the same!!
NorthernHome
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

I'm FI(re)

Post by NorthernHome »

Small re since I've not actually retired. I have flexible work that I enjoy, so I keep doing it but no longer "need" it.
Quite a lot of interesting concerns here and well worth thinking about.

One thing that some have commented on is the relative isolation in living here, even with passable Japanese. I'm not sure that is just a Japan thing. Many middle aged men( I'm assuming, many here are men) struggle to make real friendships. That must be even more so here. I've got no solution, just saying.

I'm working on making more of these relationships myself but a lot of the people I've connected with so far are just here a few years and gone.

In Sapporo, fyi.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Tōhoku wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 pm What is everyone's advice on accelerating language learning?
Get a job where nobody speaks English. Your language ability will skyrocket if you do it for a couple of years, and you'll be earning money rather than spending it on courses. Supplemental study wouldn't hurt either, though!
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: I'm FI(re)

Post by goodandbadjapan »

NorthernHome wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 am
One thing that some have commented on is the relative isolation in living here, even with passable Japanese. I'm not sure that is just a Japan thing. Many middle aged men( I'm assuming, many here are men) struggle to make real friendships. That must be even more so here. I've got no solution, just saying.

I'm working on making more of these relationships myself but a lot of the people I've connected with so far are just here a few years and gone.

In Sapporo, fyi.
This is true and being self-employed is a double-edged sword. On the one hand we often have no colleagues with whom to make friendships, on the other maybe we won't struggle as much with the change from work to retirement when we finally pull the plug as we won't suffer from a sudden lack of social interaction with coworkers!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: I'm FI(re)

Post by Beaglehound »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:19 am
NorthernHome wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 am

In Sapporo, fyi.
This is true and being self-employed is a double-edged sword. On the one hand we often have no colleagues with whom to make friendships, on the other maybe we won't struggle as much with the change from work to retirement when we finally pull the plug as we won't suffer from a sudden lack of social interaction with coworkers!
This is also true. I taught English in various schools in various countries before ending up with my own ‘one man’ school here, and interaction with colleagues is what I miss in my working life. TBF I am used to it by now so your transition to retirement point may also be true.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Will this come thru?

https://wapo.st/3L0hyZx
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

adamu wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am
Tōhoku wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 pm What is everyone's advice on accelerating language learning?
Get a job where nobody speaks English. Your language ability will skyrocket if you do it for a couple of years, and you'll be earning money rather than spending it on courses. Supplemental study wouldn't hurt either, though!
Not really a realistic option though, eh?

Maybe if you're in your 20s with no dependents and no obligations.

Unless your skillset puts you so highly in demand that employers will overlook your language shortcomings, this is "curing the disease by killing the patient", territory.
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm
goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 pm Very good topic! I am not yet retired and hope I still have a few decades before the health worries really kick in, but my wife and I have no kids and so the late stages of life do worry me a bit. There is really nobody here who could take care of us in our dotage. If I were left alone and still had remaining family in the UK I suppose I could move back there. It would be nice if there could be a nice supportive group of non-transient oldies in Japan to help each other by the time we reach that age. Maybe this board will be the start of such a thing!
Same situation, and yes it is a bit of a worry, there is a nice high bridge nearby if it comes to it :shock: As a Scottish guy married to a Japanese female of the same age, the odds of me outlasting her are low though. I like the idea of a support group of non-transient oldies.
My, my - exactly same situation! Even nationality.
I'm half Scottish (quarter Welsh and quarter English) and married to a Japanese man but same situation - no kids. Can I join the support group? :D
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Hayabubu wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm

Same situation, and yes it is a bit of a worry, there is a nice high bridge nearby if it comes to it :shock: As a Scottish guy married to a Japanese female of the same age, the odds of me outlasting her are low though. I like the idea of a support group of non-transient oldies.
My, my - exactly same situation! Even nationality.
I'm half Scottish (quarter Welsh and quarter English) and married to a Japanese man but same situation - no kids. Can I join the support group? :D
😆 Of course you can. Being Scottish (or half Scottish) is desirable but not essential!