So who's actually retired in Japan?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
hbd
Regular

Re: So who's actually retired in Japan?

Post by hbd »

Was the non-transient oldies (but goldies) support group established in some form, and if so how do we join it?
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Sort of a doubling back thing--I just spent some time going thru this whole thread. Started by going backwards at first, but then decided to jump to page 1 and go thru it 'naturally'.

Lots of great comments if you have some time. And this thread has really stayed on track (c.f. the "Ben on FB" thread!!). Work thru it from the beginning.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

"I live in Sendai, which for me is the perfect size (1.2m, I could realistically go anywhere in the city by bicycle even though I live on one of the edges of the city), you can buy/eat/see pretty much anything but it doesn't feel too big."

Dublin Ireland has a similiar population and I would not feel safe in any part of that city now, Tourists are now also the target, recently a 57 year old US tourist when out for a walk on his own being badly beaten, and 4 UK men running for the lives when after being attached close to one of the main tourist spots in Dublin

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023 ... -violence/

Pensioners are also the target of robberies and beatings...
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two ... 73162.html

Foe me safety here in Japan is a major plus
YogiLobo
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by YogiLobo »

Is there currently a community group for retired English-speaking foreigners in the Kanto area?
If not, would those in the area who are currently retired, or close to retirement, be interested in meeting in person to discuss topics, issues and ideas?
Or would an online meeting be more useful initially, to allow those in other areas to join?
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

YogiLobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:39 am Is there currently a community group for retired English-speaking foreigners in the Kanto area?
If not, would those in the area who are currently retired, or close to retirement, be interested in meeting in person to discuss topics, issues and ideas?
Or would an online meeting be more useful initially, to allow those in other areas to join?
Firstly. If your ID is in any way related to the Brand Yogibo then I’m in! Like I’m literally in a yogibo right now. And if they make a commode feature this could be most of my retirement..

For Tokyo someone kindly arranged a meeting for those about to “ascend” (I’m sure that’s not the right term but I’m sticking with it.).

https://www.retirejapan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3246

You could reach out to that person for feedback. (Once you have the required karma to direct message.)

Interestingly not heard from them recently so maybe they’ve created a splinter group. Google “The one true Retire Japan” just in case..

If you are of the IT persuasion maybe establishing and managing a discord server could work. Under license from RJ of course.

I like the idea of cohorts going through a process together but for many the transition will be quite gradual I suppose.

Oh. If you are just trying to lure us to a cult, aggressive time-share sales pitch, Bitcoin brainwashing, etc, then I’ll still join if the refreshments are free.
"That guy"
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Moneymatters wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:13 am aggressive time-share sales pitch, Bitcoin brainwashing
Check out Not A Hotel :)
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

adamu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:51 am
Moneymatters wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:13 am aggressive time-share sales pitch, Bitcoin brainwashing
Check out Not A Hotel :)
OMFG. Why? How? Why again?
We’ve got a team of financial planners in my firm who, until confirmed otherwise, appear to exist purely to find multiple ways to count the same dollar. Well. They would be shocked/inspired at the valuation model used by not a hotel.
"That guy"
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:51 am Check out Not A Hotel :)
I did, and that's an interesting place on Ishigaki. The design seems like it could be typhoon-resistant, which is a definite factor. I've visited a couple times, tho long enough ago to have experienced the old airport (a piloting challenge, with its short runway). There's a new one well away from the main town, which may have pulled some development up that way. Possibly a positive thing.

Besides the poverty of some parts of the island, another thing that struck me were the homes that had been built in one place or another--sometimes in a small group/development, sometimes out on their own, more to the northeastern part. Most of these places were empty, kind of partially overgrown and usually weathered. They looked like someone's retirement dream that didn't quite work out as planned.
AlanJH

Post by AlanJH »

I'm also stressing about this situation and don't get my pension until end of 2033.
I really don't fancy been an old guy in a country I can only speak a few get by words.
But on the other side of the coin, I'm not to keen on my wife having to cope with the NHS system in the uk as she gets older.
This is a definite catch 22.
What other country could we move to for retirement?
Not rich, own nice but not particularly high priced selling property in Japan, so our financial situation would be an issue.
This is a double whammy nightmare I don't want to think about, but do, every bloody day.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

AlanJH wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:05 am I really don't fancy been an old guy in a country I can only speak a few get by words.
You've got a few decades to master the language. Should be doable.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)