Veteran

Re: So who's actually retired in Japan?

Post by Kanto »

RetiredJapan.jpg
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

vikingslav wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 am There is a bad need for an online self-help group for the retired or those facing retirement in Japan because of all the complications about tax, insurance, help, care homes, inheritance laws, etc etc. Perhaps one already exists?
Ben may have some more free time in the future. Next project for him? :lol:
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I think this forum kind of already does all that, eh? ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Music has been mentioned several times, but it probably deserves a dedicated thread to keep any discussion from getting lost in the greater discussion.

I will start a thread.

I (try to) play drums and use Jamulus.

Look out for the Thread - ' Music - For the Retired and Not Yet Retired '

Don
Last edited by Tkydon on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

I’m retired.

First of all, let’s take a step back and get some perspective. I see a lot of people whipping themselves up into some unnecessary anxiety. Remember stress is a killer.

Back on topic to the OP’s concerns:

1. Dementia is a natural process of aging. We are all going to begin having temporary memory lapses, misplacing our keys or forgetting names etc. The chances of actually becoming so debilitated by dementia where, for example, you can’t pay your bills is extremely low when compared to other dangers that come with old age.

One of the most important things you can do his find a good primary care doctor who actually cares about your welfare. This can actually be a challenge here. I’ve gone through approximately 10 different doctors to find one who is not a money grubbing half-wit. I finally found a good doctor though that is competent and makes follow up phone calls periodically to see how I’m doing.

In the unlikely event that you do actually find yourself living alone with late stage Alzheimer’s, I can think of no better place to be than a populated area in Japan. The minute you start knocking on strangers doors or standing in the middle of the conbini eating bananas you’ll be rescued by bored keisatsukan who will give you a free taxi ride home or to the hospital.

2. The solution to not having any family or friends is to, again, be in a populated area. I would avoid the country side where people are going to speak less English and be even more xenophobic than usual. Your best case scenario would be to start looking for a nice Tokyo neighborhood with a train/bus station, lots of grocery stores, convenience stores, nice restaurants and izakayas, nearby police boxes and doctors- all within a 5-10 minute walk.

If you are a real introvert, just walk to your nearest city ward office and ask about community gatherings. Don’t worry about speaking Japanese. All ward offices in Tokyo have English speaking assistance. One of the only other ways to really make friends with Japanese, outside of work, is to get them drunk. So if you don’t mind talking to strangers, head for the izakaya near your house. Most Japanese speak a little English, even if they say they don’t. Also don’t be scared of Japanese only menus. Izakaya’s all pretty much serve the same things. Just learn the names of the food and drinks you want and you’ll be fine.

Finally, remember the words of Gandalf: “ All we have to do Is decide what to do with the time that Is given us.”
Last edited by Gulliver on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Gulliver wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:31 pm First of all, let’s take a step back and get some perspective. I see a lot of people whipping themselves up into some unnecessary anxiety. Remember stress is a killer.
Gulliver wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 pm The cruel truth about today’s economy is that the average Joe needs two incomes to even think about having a comfortable life. If you are only 30 you should be putting approximately ¥100,000 to ¥200,000 per month into a tax sheltered investment account unless you want to work until you die. I would strongly suggest finding a job for your wife even, if it’s just part time.
Nothing like telling us we need to be putting in ¥100,000 to ¥200,000 a month else we'll be working till we die to get that anxiety pumping!
Thanks! :lol:
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Bushiman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:39 am Nothing like telling us we need to be putting in ¥100,000 to ¥200,000 a month else we'll be working till we die to get that anxiety pumping!
Thanks! :lol:
:D
Sorry for the anxiety! Even though it was from a different thread/out of context?

Actually for me, learning how to invest and see my money grow was kind of fun. I’m a bit nerdy I guess. :geek:
hbd
Regular

Post by hbd »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am Music has been mentioned several times, but it probably deserves a dedicated thread to keep any discussion from getting lost in the greater discussion.

I will start a thread.
Thanks Don. I will join that thread, and I hope captainspoke and others will, too. Time for us to take our instrument cases down from the top of the cupboard and liberate the forces inside! Wachet auf!