Building a house - designing yourself

vapid
Regular

Building a house - designing yourself

Post by vapid »

It seems pretty common in the US, UK, elsewhere that you can use freely available tools to design a dream home.

But I cannot seem to find similar software or tools for Japan. I would guess this is due to normal Japanese cultural practices of following rules and design guidelines, rather than letting folks design their 'dream homes.'

Specifically, my wife and I are actively looking into getting an Akiya bank property (found a few with 1200m lots with 300m homes that have to be renovated or rebuilt for 8m jpy). And we figure we might as well design the home exactly how we would prefer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on software or design tools (tailored towards Japanese build requirements) that could be played around with in advance before contacting a builder?
robster
Regular

Re: Building a house - designing yourself

Post by robster »

http://www.megasoft.co.jp/3d/?gclid=Cjw ... csQAvD_BwE

I have been using this software for work for many years. I don't design houses, mostly using it for interior space layout proposals, so not sure how well it links to japanese building protocols, but i get the feeling it's quite close. In any case you could get a very good feel for the space you want, enough to try out a few different plans, and express your vision to the architect who can then make the hard version based on your proposal.
Requires competent Jp reading ability.
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

Fantastic!

I will run this by my wife who is much more competent at Japanese and also got her undergrad in architecture before moving to Japan to get her MBA. Will let you know how this works out for us.
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

Following up on this a bit - does anyone have any experience working with a major developer (like Sweden Home) and presenting your own architecture designs?

And has anyone effectively used the Akiya bank (abandoned homes) to find a cheap rural house they can tear down and rebuild on? That's kinda the angle my wife and I are thinking of at the moment.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

Your post is actually what gave my wife and I the idea to consider that the most viable option for having the house and the space we would want for our kids.

I don’t suppose there are any handy akiya bank websites or resources? Or does anyone know if banks would give loans for akiya bank purchases?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Google akiya bank + your target area. I imagine it would be a normal mortgage as far as the bank is concerned :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)