Occupations: What do you do?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Occupations: What do you do?

Post by Kanto »

niall24 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 am
Kanto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:35 am Adjunct professor
Is Adjunct Professor = Assistant or Associate Professor 助教授、准教授? Or part-time lecturer? 非常勤講師 ? (that is what I am, since retiring from company. I wonder if I can promote myself to Adjunt Professor... :x
Adjunct - a thing added to something else as a supplementary rather than an essential part.

Definitely Part-time :lol:

1 Year contracts. Some contracts are per koma some are for year salary.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Writer/teacher. Well, teacher/writer at the mo; will adjust the ratio back when the time is right. 
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Another teacher here... College lecturer.
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

I was that guy who spent his quiet moments at work (as a full time prof) daydreaming of retirement. But now I am fully retired and enjoying travel (domestic only recently but it’s really special with so few other tourists around) and my real priority of family.

We have sufficient savings and passive income that enabled a smooth transition from full time work without requiring any lifestyle changes, live in our dream home in a dream location with zero debt, and certainly do not miss commuting, protracted work meetings, or mortgages. I’m living the daydream! And all it took was 35 years of the both of us working and saving nonstop. ;)
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

Full time employee at a Japanese Hotel Group - Manage the International Sales.

On the side help my wife with her handmade cosmetics and candles business.
FIRE-Rookie
Regular

Post by FIRE-Rookie »

Day time:
Field Engineer at Gaishikei

Night:
Coding for web development and 3D maps (Freelancer)

Free time:
Experimenting with trading bots for Crypto to see which one loses money the fastest! (Beats going to Pachinko)
taneandy
Regular

Post by taneandy »

Translator at a patent firm.
However, it's pretty much exclusively remote work so feels like a mix of being a freelancer and a regular employee.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Tokyo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:56 am I was that guy who spent his quiet moments at work (as a full time prof) daydreaming of retirement. But now I am fully retired and enjoying travel (domestic only recently but it’s really special with so few other tourists around) and my real priority of family.

We have sufficient savings and passive income that enabled a smooth transition from full time work without requiring any lifestyle changes, live in our dream home in a dream location with zero debt, and certainly do not miss commuting, protracted work meetings, or mortgages. I’m living the daydream! And all it took was 35 years of the both of us working and saving nonstop. ;)
Did you hit the maximum retirement age, or did you get out a bit early?

I am on the fence right now.

Fiscally, I could retire now and the severance would be okay, but if I wait until 60 it would be bumped up a fair bit. The latest we can work is 70, but I see 60-70 as a travel-the-world period.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:28 am 1 Year contracts. Some contracts are per koma some are for year salary.
I know a guy with 30 koma (works 6 days a week, for 30 weeks a year). Pulls in around ¥9,000,000 a year, not too shabby.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 am
Kanto wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:28 am 1 Year contracts. Some contracts are per koma some are for year salary.
I know a guy with 30 koma (works 6 days a week, for 30 weeks a year). Pulls in around ¥9,000,000 a year, not too shabby.
That's just... unhealthy 😲

I've done 14 as a part timer (alongside other work) just for a year, and it was tough.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)