Occupations: What do you do?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
rasselbiluga
Regular

Re: Occupations: What do you do?

Post by rasselbiluga »

Postdoctoral researcher at an University. Obviously a time-limited position, so who knows what I will be doing in 2-3 years... finding a permanent position in academia is really though. One alternative I would be interested in, is working as a teacher in high school, but at the moment my Japanese level would not be sufficient by far (although I study every day!), and I don't have teaching experience.
Petronius wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:00 am Freelance strategy consultant since April this year. I couldn't keep going with the salaryman life in Tokyo.
Avid MMA/BJJ practitioner
I am doing BJJ too! :D
BlueberryHill

Post by BlueberryHill »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:26 am
Bushiman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:01 am I'm a direct hire ALT in beautiful Nagano Prefecture, and have been for the last 20yrs...
I'm envious (of the place, not salary, lol).
I worked in Iida in the late 90s. Beautiful place.
Funny that, I worked in Iida in the late 1990s, too. Lingua Franca...

Pachiguy
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

BlueberryHill wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:12 amPachiguy
Did you used to have a blog of long-form essays?
If that's you, let me just say that it was brilliant. I hope you start writing again one day.
Riayain

Post by Riayain »

On paper, I'm an editorial department manager. I work for a digital marketing firm that targets an international audience. I manage people and projects, I give consulting services to whoever wants to market towards the demographics I know best, and I do quality control on finished products and services.

It all sounds fancy, but I don't get paid all that much, ha! Still, it's hard to find a job in this industry that is very flexible with scheduling, lets you work from home, doesn't have a lot of overtime. I'm not a very healthy person, so even if it doesn't pay much, I'd rather have a more flexible job and fewer hours than more pay.

I'm still in my 20s and just getting into investing. It's daunting, but RetireJapan has helped a lot. Thanks!
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

JohKun wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:23 pm Everybody else in this thread has probably retired already
My initial reaction was, "No, most of us are still working; our retired members are over in the Who's Actually Retired thread." But this thread is just about two years old now so I can't be so sure my gut take is correct. Maybe that means it's time for an update. I'll go first:

I still run a small translation and copywriting firm.
What do you do?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I'm largely unemployed but help my wife with her English school, run a niche website, and write things.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

I've run a small English school for the last 20 years. Mostly just me teaching, but recently my Japanese wife too. Next April we'll be reducing to four working days per week (couldn't quite manage it this year) as a first step towards semi-retirement. After that we'll be aiming for three days per week until I reach 65 (I'm 56 now). Also we plan to take a longer break next year - at least a month, probably two - to spend more time with family and friends in the UK.
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

Still running a Mom and Pop eikaiwa from home since '95 with the missus.The house loan will be done in 10 years (will be 65 then),so only then can kinda slow down,all being well. Retirement? What's that? In Japan, many self-employed work till they kick the bucket or ill-health forces otherwise.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

General management. Could you get a more Japanesey description of your role than that :lol:
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Cracaphat wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:31 am Still running a Mom and Pop eikaiwa from home since '95 with the missus.The house loan will be done in 10 years (will be 65 then),so only then can kinda slow down,all being well. Retirement? What's that? In Japan, many self-employed work till they kick the bucket or ill-health forces otherwise.
Yeah, people who are self-employed (or run their own business) have a very different view of what "free time" is.