Short Term Travel Insurance

TJKansai
Veteran

Short Term Travel Insurance

Post by TJKansai »

I have used my Japanese credit cards to make a couple claims for illness or injury over the years (for a few hundred max).

I also claimed reimbursement via the shakkai hokken once, but they only paid about 30% of the American charges.

My son is about to go to the US for 6 weeks, and we'd like to get him covered. Since he is an adult he could get his own credit card, but probably not in time.

Any suggestions?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Short Term Travel Insurance

Post by zeroshiki »

Kakaku.com has HIS travel insurance as the top for travel insurance. I randomly put in dates for a trip to the US and it comes out as 10k yen for insurance.

===

One thing I would consider though is if it really is too late to get a CC. On the SMBC site they're advertising giving you a card immediately after application (it would be on the VPASS app until you get the physical card). Not sure if that extends to travel insurance but I'd give that a look if I were you.
TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Short Term Travel Insurance

Post by TJKansai »

We discovered Rakuten's travel insurance offers through cards come with requirements of purchase of ....(some say packages, some are vague).

Turns out our DC gold covers our son (up to 90 days) since he is still a student living at home. Saison did not cover him though.

Going to the Mitsui Outlet and getting approved will get him a card issued on the spot, which is also something we may try to squeeze in.