Feeling pressured to get the roof painted

captainspoke
Sage

Re: Feeling pressured to get the roof painted

Post by captainspoke »

Roofs need to 'breathe'--while plastic sounds great, I'd want to make sure that it isn't going to trap moisture underneath it.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

nickr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 pm @Stuart, 50%? Wow. I should get into that line of work!

I’ll have to look into what other roofing options are available. Plastic panels is an interesting idea. Cheers.
That roof is 30 years old and only painted(coated) once in that time? (Wish I aged that well. Alcohol is supposed to preserve things..)

From the one photo it appears to be Colonial type tiles. Or is it actually real slate?
How long are they saying will it last if you get it painted (coated) again?
Maybe they say coat one more time then replace in xx years..

How to proceed will depend on the expected life span of the current materials. I have a colonial type and reached the point I just had replace. No need to share a pic. It's very obvious when some of the edges look like badly damaged books.

So after extensive research* I went with Cover type tiles. They put a water proof sheet in between and you benefit from additional insulation from heat and they should be maintenance free for the next 20 years at least.
Also, @Stuart is spot on about the margins here. I got one company to reduce by 1million (doing roof and walls at same time).

*Couple of hours browsing online with cups of tea.
"That guy"
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

captainspoke wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:09 am
Maybe they would or wouldn't recommend painting. If they do, then price the products they suggest, and maybe consider it a DIY project.
If you survive doing roofing as a 'DIY project', I'll hire you to do some electrical cabling work...... :shock:
nickr
Regular

Post by nickr »

@MoneyMatters, Oooh, that does look promising. What you're describing sounds like this: https://yanekabeya.com/cover/

I'm really happy I found this forum. You know, I've been married for 16 years and in all that time, I've been living off pocket money! You know what I mean. Anyway, as of April this year, she wanted me to take the bank books, and that sparked a desire in me to learn about our finances, look into investing, and even got me motivated about my teaching job - I could actually earn more than my pocket money if I tried harder! :lol:
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

nickr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:44 am Hi everyone,

Link to photo of my roof: https://twitter.com/nick_ramsay/status/ ... 5577160704

Our house is 30-years old and we last had the roof and walls painted 12 years ago. We keep getting salesmen at the door saying we need to get the roof painted, and my wife strongly agrees with them.

For me, though, it's a huge expense - likely 1 million yen. I teach English part time on DMM Eikaiwa, and that's the equivalent of 2,000 lessons! :shock:

If this were the UK, I'd consider it an investment, but here... even if I got it painted, it could just blow off in the next typhoon (we lost a bunch of tiles in 2018 that way).

Have any of you been in this situation? What would you advise? Thanks.
Why don't you just paint it yourself. It's easy to do and you won't get ripped off by these cowboys. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do it.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

nickr wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:52 am @MoneyMatters, Oooh, that does look promising. What you're describing sounds like this: https://yanekabeya.com/cover/

I'm really happy I found this forum. You know, I've been married for 16 years and in all that time, I've been living off pocket money! You know what I mean. Anyway, as of April this year, she wanted me to take the bank books, and that sparked a desire in me to learn about our finances, look into investing, and even got me motivated about my teaching job - I could actually earn more than my pocket money if I tried harder! :lol:
Holy crap! I used the above link to get a free quote for my roof; just to have the roof covered would be 1.8m yen! Who are these jokers?!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Jansen
Veteran

Post by Jansen »

I hope I'm not too late for this discussion.

I replaced a 50 year old traditional tile (瓦) roof into slate for 1.5m, in fact through yanekabeya.com. I had 3 separate quotes, 2 for slate and 1 for traditional tile. The traditional tile one was cheapest, recommended replacing only the broken tiles and remove and redoing all the caulking for around 500k. The other two essentially proposed tearing out the old roof down to the rafters and building a new one on top, with modern insulation and water proofing and all that fancy stuff. The 3rd quote I found from one of those renovation quoting sites, which detailed basically the same plan as yanekabeya for for almost 50% more.

so
- 2.5m
- 1.5m
- 0.5m
nickr
Regular

Post by nickr »

Thanks Jansen,

We haven’t yet done anything about the roof. Since starting this thread, our financial outlook has turned rather dire, and neither my wife nor I are confident about spending our savings on the roof right now.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

We were advised to get the roof painted after about 10 years. Didn't do it at the time.
Decided to do it this year. House (and roof) are now 14 years old.
When the guys checked it out they realized that painting our tiles was not going to suffice. We need to replace, or cover over a lot of tiles.(apparently overlaying additional tiles is better than replacing, and one type will last, we are assured, another 30 years).

IMG_6823.JPG
IMG_6824.JPG
So, it is fine to be sceptical, but you really, really don't want a leaking roof. Just a word of warning.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

beanhead wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:33 am We were advised to get the roof painted after about 10 years. Didn't do it at the time.
Decided to do it this year. House (and roof) are now 14 years old.
When the guys checked it out they realized that painting our tiles was not going to suffice. We need to replace, or cover over a lot of tiles.(apparently overlaying additional tiles is better than replacing, and one type will last, we are assured, another 30 years).

So, it is fine to be sceptical, but you really, really don't want a leaking roof. Just a word of warning.
Not quite as bad, but I thought those where photos from my roof for a moment!

Three identical houses. None of us didn't anything after 10 years, at 14 years both neighbors replaced with like for like. Seeing what was happening, I held on another couple of years, knowing I'd need to replace rather than paint, then went with the "space age" tiles overlaid on the current roof. I think 20-25 years before coating would be required is mentioned in the pamphlet.

Chatting with the builders they say it's because they can't use asbestos anymore those Colonial roof "tiles" don't last as long as they used to in the past.

Only time will tell if mine was the right decision for both total lifetime costs and avoiding the disruption of more frequent maintenance. It was over 2 months of not having the parking space at the height of summer. Interestingly, the neighbors' roofs are already showing signs of age after just a couple of years. They will definitely need to get them painted around the 10 year mark to avoid another costly replacement around the 15 year mark.
"That guy"