Retirement Allowances (taishokukin 退職金)

TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Retirement Allowances (taishokukin 退職金)

Post by TJKansai »

Our uni offers early retirement option after reaching age 60 (with at least 20 years of service). Profs can work until 70.

The admin did introduce a proposal to raise the optional age to 65, but that died a quick death in union negotiations.

For those 60 or older with the years in, the table looks like this (roughly):

20yrs x30
25yrs x40
30yrs x50
37-40yrs x60

Retire before age 60 by choice (say age 55) and the multiplier is around 24 (even if you have the 20+ years).
hbd
Regular

Post by hbd »

I've been working at a national university for 27 years and will turn 65 this October. My bonus was not cut when I turned 61.
Congratulations - you were very lucky. It seems that after the 法人化 each national uni 'corporation' was free to make its own rulings on this matter, and from what I'm told the then-President of mine decided that all academics' bonuses would be nearly halved from the day they turned 61. This is an institution unfailingly listed in the top 10 universities in the country, but they are going to have trouble attracting larger numbers of foreign faculty if they retain such a backward policy.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

hbd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:52 pm
I've been working at a national university for 27 years and will turn 65 this October. My bonus was not cut when I turned 61.
Congratulations - you were very lucky. It seems that after the 法人化 each national uni 'corporation' was free to make its own rulings on this matter, and from what I'm told the then-President of mine decided that all academics' bonuses would be nearly halved from the day they turned 61. This is an institution unfailingly listed in the top 10 universities in the country, but they are going to have trouble attracting larger numbers of foreign faculty if they retain such a backward policy.
An Australian friend who is sennin at a national uni told me he hasn't had a pay rise in years, and he doesn't expect one in the future. They are offering buyouts too.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

hbd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:52 pmThis is an institution unfailingly listed in the top 10 universities in the country, but they are going to have trouble attracting larger numbers of foreign faculty if they retain such a backward policy.
Given the current economic model, I can't see them offering a lot more to any faculty, let along "foreign" imports.

Depending on what the ¥/$ rate is, Japanese public uni salaries can be way below US for tenured profs. Private unis here are a mixed bag, some generous, some not so much, but few come close to what the US pays.

The US, with tuition 2-4 times what it is here, has the money to splash out.

I have no idea how they match up to other developed countries, but I suspect Japanese unis are not on the high end. On the other hand, the cost of living may be lower here.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TJKansai wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 am
hbd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:52 pmThis is an institution unfailingly listed in the top 10 universities in the country, but they are going to have trouble attracting larger numbers of foreign faculty if they retain such a backward policy.
Given the current economic model, I can't see them offering a lot more to any faculty, let along "foreign" imports.

Depending on what the ¥/$ rate is, Japanese public uni salaries can be way below US for tenured profs. Private unis here are a mixed bag, some generous, some not so much, but few come close to what the US pays.

I have no idea how they match up to other developed countries, but I suspect Japanese unis are not on the high end. On the other hand, the cost of living may be lower here.
My uni is cutting jobs and positions where they can (hence me finishing in March). I think budgets are getting tight.

Given the demographics in Japan, maybe a third of universities will close in the near future, so the remaining ones are going to have a lot of applicants for not many positions. And we know what happens to prices when supply vastly outstrips demand...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 am
TJKansai wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 am

My uni is cutting jobs and positions where they can (hence me finishing in March). I think budgets are getting tight.

Given the demographics in Japan, maybe a third of universities will close in the near future, so the remaining ones are going to have a lot of applicants for not many positions. And we know what happens to prices when supply vastly outstrips demand...
The future certainly looks scary. There is a HUGE push for international students to fill the gaps, however, demand continues to drop off.

Public university demand seems fairly stable in high population areas though.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Established wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:45 am The future certainly looks scary. There is a HUGE push for international students to fill the gaps, however, demand continues to drop off.

Public university demand seems fairly stable in high population areas though.
Oh, yeah, absolutely. Public universities will be fine, as will the better private ones.

The second and third tier private ones, though :?

And Japan seriously shot itself in the foot by not allowing foreign students with places to study and visas to enter the country for eighteen months (they are still not allowed in, despite the Olympics taking place). Certainly not helping to bolster Japan's reputation as a good place to study.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Does anyone know of any get-around when it comes to American taxes and taishokukin? Has anyone (or have heard of someone who) avoided this at all? Is there a way to simply "not" delare the taishokukin? The only get-around I can see is to become a Japanese citizen and get free of the IRS.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

[/quote]
An Australian friend who is sennin at a national uni told me he hasn't had a pay rise in years, and he doesn't expect one in the future. They are offering buyouts too.
[/quote]

This is true. I've had no pay raise for years. In fact, after the Great Tohoku Earthquake we even had pay cuts to help pay for the recovery.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Clueless wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:51 pm Does anyone know of any get-around when it comes to American taxes and taishokukin? Has anyone (or have heard of someone who) avoided this at all? Is there a way to simply "not" delare the taishokukin? The only get-around I can see is to become a Japanese citizen and get free of the IRS.
Guy I know here in Miyagi naturalized to keep his taishokukin (former US citizen).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)