Auto insurance for Unmarried children living outside the household of the named insured or his/her spouse

regular
Regular

Auto insurance for Unmarried children living outside the household of the named insured or his/her spouse

Post by regular »

Hi!

I was talking to a lady from my auto insurance company, SBI Sonpo, to add our unmarried daughter living separately as insured driver in addition to me and my wife. I was told that Unmarried children living outside the household of the named insured or his/her spouse can be covered regardless of age restriction if we change from 夫婦限定 to 家族限定.

That is a cheaper solution for children visiting us temporarily. An internet search came up with the following site https://www.fp-ins-info.com/point-of-unmarried-child/ which mentions a case like ours:

For example, suppose you have a parent and child who are 50 years old and a child who lives alone is 19 years old. If a 19-year-old child drives a car with a parent's car insurance age requirement of 35 years or older and causes an accident, he / she will be covered regardless of the age requirement.

But I am surprised and would like to get input from anyone having similar experience.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: Auto insurance for Unmarried children living outside the household of the named insured or his/her spouse

Post by Moneymatters »

regular wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 am Hi!

I was talking to a lady from my auto insurance company, SBI Sonpo, to add our unmarried daughter living separately as insured driver in addition to me and my wife. I was told that Unmarried children living outside the household of the named insured or his/her spouse can be covered regardless of age restriction if we change from 夫婦限定 to 家族限定.

That is a cheaper solution for children visiting us temporarily. An internet search came up with the following site https://www.fp-ins-info.com/point-of-unmarried-child/ which mentions a case like ours:

For example, suppose you have a parent and child who are 50 years old and a child who lives alone is 19 years old. If a 19-year-old child drives a car with a parent's car insurance age requirement of 35 years or older and causes an accident, he / she will be covered regardless of the age requirement.

But I am surprised and would like to get input from anyone having similar experience.
Fortuitous timing as I just received one of the 47 hagaki I get each year. And this one was actually for my car insurance. (As I don't gamble I consider these hagaki a form of "scratch card" for middle aged folk. This one was was a loser as my premium is projected to increase from next term. But I digress.)

I had a look at that link and some other links to try and wrap my head around it. I'm guessing I might be wrong but.
"
※イーデザイン損保(平成23年4月1日以降始期日契約の場合)、アクサダイレクト(平成28年3月1日以降始期日契約の場合)、ソニー損保等は、上記④の方については、年齢条件は適用されません。つまり、契約の車を運転される下記の方の中で一番若い方に合わせて年齢条件を設定します。

①記名被保険者
②記名被保険者の配偶者
③記名被保険者又は配偶者の同居の親族
"
Sometime back all the insurance companies decided that the age clause will only apply to people that could be considered primary drivers. So the insured, dependant spouse and co-habiting folk.
A dependant not co-habiting would not fall under these age terms for some unexplained reason. But only until they get married.

What's interesting is on points 3 and 4 on here;
https://www.fp-ins-info.com/agecondition-4points/

Is it seems to be anyone can drive when under the age limit. With the express exception of the; named insured, special dependant spouse or co-habiting dependants/relatives as mentioned above.

When the time arises. (Oldest expecting to take the test in Sept.) I'll set aside an afternoon to speak with the insurance company and get more confused.

EDIT: Just to be clear. I'm on the 「35歳以上補償」rather than a 夫婦限定。
"That guy"