Defined Contribution Changes from 2022

Moneymatters
Veteran

Defined Contribution Changes from 2022

Post by Moneymatters »

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the fourm. I couldn't find it.

I stumbled on this article https://www.aon.com/getmedia/bdedf2c7-4 ... 00828.aspx

In the reddit Japan Finance wiki https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanFinance/w ... sting/long.

It recaps proposed changes to iDeCo and Corporate DC happening in 2022.

Of note:-
1. From May 2022, DC participants of foreign citizenship who return to their home country may receive their assets as a lump-sum before the age of 60 (if participation period is 5 years or less or balance is ¥250,000 or less). A serious relaxing of the rules.

2. From May 2022, You can make iDeCo contribtions up to the age of 65. (Currently 60).
(You need to be paying into kousei or kokumin nenkin at the same time but who amongst us will get to 40 years of contributions by age 60!
https://kabu.com/kabuyomu/money/418.html )

3. From May 2022, Corporate DC has changes about age participation. The main one being you can contribute up to 70 (currently 65).

4. From April 2022, the latest age when a participant must start receiving benefit from a corporate DC or iDeCo will be extended from the current age 70 to age 75.

5. From Oct 2022, iDeCo participation criteria for employees who also participate in corporate DC plan will be relaxed.... employees can join iDeCo with a monthly contribution not exceeding ¥20,000 without impacting employer contribution to corporate DC.

This below thread, ignoring my personal contributions, has some great research about timing to withdraw iDeCo and combining with Retirement allowance.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=867

The big take away resulting from these changes for me is;
Even if you aren't working past 60, but still have gaps in kokumin nenkin and have the cash on hand. You could use iDeCo between 60-65 then pull down as late as 75.
As an illustration. Given each year's allowance is 400K (or 700K after 20 years particpation) totally tax free. You could invest 68K * 12 (816,000) in year 1 and the minimum 5,000 per month in years 2-5. If you leave that until age 75, you could compound growth at 5% annually and have almost no tax exposure when you withdraw. (And obviously, if you are just extending the number of years you contribute to ideco to 65 it will all get added together when you withdraw.)

Typically this is where someone pops up and says these changes have been postponed indefinitely..
"That guy"
beanhead
Sage

Re: Defined Contribution Changes from 2022

Post by beanhead »

The iDeCo changes were mentioned somewhere but have not been discussed in detail. I am hopeful that our overlord RJ will write a pithy blog article on the implications... ;)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:49 am The iDeCo changes were mentioned somewhere but have not been discussed in detail. I am hopeful that our overlord RJ will write a pithy blog article on the implications... ;)
[smoke billows from the lamp] "dammit, I was hoping you'd let me sleep a bit longer... YOU SUMMONED ME, MASTER?"

It's pretty exciting stuff, inasmuch as a pension account can be exciting. Blog post soon-ish :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
JapaneseMike
Veteran

Post by JapaneseMike »

It talks about folding dissolved DB programs into iDeCo, personally i'd love to see the option of directly putting 退職金 into iDeCo at time of company exit...

Maybe in a few years time huh? :)
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

My company dissolved 退職金 and put everyone into DCs a few years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't particularly financially aware during that time so I'm not sure how they actually did it (or how it affected everyone).
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

Seems like good news all around. Great to hear! :D