Has anyone else gotten their taxes done?

StockBeard
Veteran

Re: Has anyone else gotten their taxes done?

Post by StockBeard »

vapid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 pm Also having the new kid last year means I get an additional child deduction which was handy when filing.
I thought child deductions had been replaced with the kodomoteate system? (you don't get tax credit, but the prefecture sends you some money every quarter). Did I misunderstand?
deepdishj
Regular

Post by deepdishj »

Rezz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 am I just did mine today. Took all my withholding slips, ideco papers, social insurance statements and a few other things to the main tax declaration assistance office (huge) and spent about 2-3 hours there in total. Thanks to having 5 separate jobs in the last year, I ended up having to pay 87,000 🤕 I usually get a refund.

Doesn’t help that it has to be paid in full by March 15th. Especially with the costs of moving to a new place last week. Ugh!
I'm in a similar boat as far as multiple sources of income. I've been using a tax accountant for the last 5 years and it has been great. I drop off my forms at his office and come back a few days or a week later. All on my schedule, no waiting, no hassle. And I would say he has saved me at least a million yen in city taxes over that time. Perhaps something worth your while to check out.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

StockBeard wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 am
vapid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 pm Also having the new kid last year means I get an additional child deduction which was handy when filing.
I thought child deductions had been replaced with the kodomoteate system? (you don't get tax credit, but the prefecture sends you some money every quarter). Did I misunderstand?
Let’s see... I did report my two kids on my filing, but that itself got me no extra money back.
But my employer also knows about my kids so my income from my employer should have my kids taken into consideration when deducting taxes from my monthly salary, already, if child deductions apply.
I tend to think there must be, since I must report the My Number of My Kids on the tax filing, to prevent My Spouse from double dipping on the deduction, I presume.

I also receive cash from my municipality here in Tokyo for having young kids (three payments a year in my case).
I forget whether these are kodomoteate payments or some thing just my own Tokyo Ward office is doing.
(It’s all a bit silly as I don’t need this money... but I won’t go there!)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

deepdishj wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pmI've been using a tax accountant for the last 5 years and it has been great. ... I would say he has saved me at least a million yen in city taxes over that time. Perhaps something worth your while to check out.
What were his total fees for the 5 years?
deepdishj
Regular

Post by deepdishj »

adamu wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 am
deepdishj wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pmI've been using a tax accountant for the last 5 years and it has been great. ... I would say he has saved me at least a million yen in city taxes over that time. Perhaps something worth your while to check out.
What were his total fees for the 5 years?
¥15,000 for each of the the first two years, then ¥20,000 each year since then as my situation got a bit more complicated.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

deepdishj wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 am
adamu wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 am What were his total fees for the 5 years?
¥15,000 for each of the the first two years, then ¥20,000 each year since then as my situation got a bit more complicated.
That's a great deal! My wife pays her accountant 15,000 a month plus about 80,000 to file (but she's a sole proprietor with a medium-sized business).

How much do other people pay their accountants?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

deepdishj wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 am ¥15,000 for each of the the first two years, then ¥20,000 each year since then as my situation got a bit more complicated.
Nice. I paid a lot of tax this year. I probably should have got an accountant to help me out. The ones I found all charged a percentage fee rather than a fixed-rate though.
deepdishj
Regular

Post by deepdishj »

I'm in Kobe. I you need an introduction to my accountant just let me know.
Dr.Strangelove
Regular

Post by Dr.Strangelove »

My wife and I run a corporated company with two businesses. We pay our tax account ¥20,000 a month for each business. Sounds like too much?
This includes filing a tax return for both of us and our daughter. He has given us loads of advice while setting up the company and we have saved a lot in taxes. It’s a complicated situation and neither my wife or I have time to file our own tax returns.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

deepdishj wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:39 am I'm in Kobe. I you need an introduction to my accountant just let me know.
Will do! Maybe next year. ;)