Sudden pension payment slips

KCLenny
Veteran

Sudden pension payment slips

Post by KCLenny »

I’ve just received a wad of pension payment slips. I don’t really understand them as most are saying ¥16,610 payable in 令和5. But there’s one due at the end of august this month for over ¥150,000!
Is this normal? Am I supposed to just be able to front up the cash for something like that? Or do I need to go to the ward office to question it?
I’ve been exempted from paying it for the 2 years that I’ve been living here so far due to low income. I thought I was still considered exempt but seems like that was wrong.
Do I just need to apply for another exemption or what?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry if my questioning is all over the place, as this has come as a big shock and if we are planning to move apartment in the next month or 2, a sudden ¥150,000 pension bill in the next 2 weeks is going to screw that plan up. Meaning I have no money, but in order to save some money, I need to move to a cheaper apartment…which I might not be able to do if I have to pay the pension. So I’ll be trapped basically.
Established
Veteran

Re: Sudden pension payment slips

Post by Established »

KCLenny wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:54 am I’ve just received a wad of pension payment slips. I don’t really understand them as most are saying ¥16,610 payable in 令和5. But there’s one due at the end of august this month for over ¥150,000!
Is this normal? Am I supposed to just be able to front up the cash for something like that? Or do I need to go to the ward office to question it?
I’ve been exempted from paying it for the 2 years that I’ve been living here so far due to low income. I thought I was still considered exempt but seems like that was wrong.
Do I just need to apply for another exemption or what?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry if my questioning is all over the place, as this has come as a big shock and if we are planning to move apartment in the next month or 2, a sudden ¥150,000 pension bill in the next 2 weeks is going to screw that plan up. Meaning I have no money, but in order to save some money, I need to move to a cheaper apartment…which I might not be able to do if I have to pay the pension. So I’ll be trapped basically.
Check through the slips again. They give you different payment options and often include these slips together. (You can choose how to pay).

The yearly options usually are cheaper. (Presumably to offset the lost opportunity cost that arises from paying early).

All the slips should be numbered, I assumed the large one is the one-time payment slip.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Established wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:22 am
Check through the slips again. They give you different payment options and often include these slips together. (You can choose how to pay).

The yearly options usually are cheaper. (Presumably to offset the lost opportunity cost that arises from paying early).

All the slips should be numbered, I assumed the large one is the one-time payment slip.
Ah that makes a lot more sense. However I’ve found 2 large payment ones. One for ¥130,000, and another for something like ¥95,000.
The bigger one says 3,8~4,3 which I assume is from now until next March.
But the ¥95,000 one I don’t understand.
It has 下期 written where the ordered numbers should be
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

KCLenny wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:59 am
Established wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:22 am

Ah that makes a lot more sense. However I’ve found 2 large payment ones. One for ¥130,000, and another for something like ¥95,000.
The bigger one says 3,8~4,3 which I assume is from now until next March.
But the ¥95,000 one I don’t understand.
It has 下期 written where the ordered numbers should be
That means "second half" so that is the second bi-annual payment I believe.

Here is the breakdown, and the discounts that apply. It is worth signing up for the direct debit. It seems the discount rate is calculated at 4%
(※割引額は年利4%の複利現価法によって計算した額です)

https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/kokune ... 13-04.html
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

So it’s not really worth paying the lump sum or the half amount then. If I pay the lump I save about 1000, and about the same with the half payment (but plus the august and September slips that aren’t included in the half payment).
Plus as I mentioned in my original post, I’m about the start the process or moving apartment. If I drop a ton on a lump sum pension payment just to save ¥1000 it will mean that after I pay the mitsumori for the apartment too (and any potential cleaning costs for the current place), that I will seriously be on the line of no money.
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

KCLenny wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:39 am So it’s not really worth paying the lump sum or the half amount then. If I pay the lump I save about 1000, and about the same with the half payment (but plus the august and September slips that aren’t included in the half payment).
Plus as I mentioned in my original post, I’m about the start the process or moving apartment. If I drop a ton on a lump sum pension payment just to save ¥1000 it will mean that after I pay the mitsumori for the apartment too (and any potential cleaning costs for the current place), that I will seriously be on the line of no money.
Just set up the direct debit and pay monthly, and save that 50 yen! And....save yourself the halse of a monthly konbini trip!

It is a no-brainer and a win-win.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

I have no experience of applying for exemption but I believe it is not automatic so it may well be worth your while to ask. I doubt with your income level that you would get a full exemption but a partial one is certainly possible and as you are credited with a greater proportion of pension entitlement than you actually pay, it may well be sensible to do that at this stage.
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

Beaglehound wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:14 pm I have no experience of applying for exemption but I believe it is not automatic so it may well be worth your while to ask. I doubt with your income level that you would get a full exemption but a partial one is certainly possible and as you are credited with a greater proportion of pension entitlement than you actually pay, it may well be sensible to do that at this stage.
I would be cautious unless OP and his wife have PR. A partial exception to nenkin as a working adult could hurt future visa or PR applications.

Obviously, none of this is codified. However, as they do check nenkin payment history and financial stability, it is best to avoid the classic red flags.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Established wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:24 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:14 pm I have no experience of applying for exemption but I believe it is not automatic so it may well be worth your while to ask. I doubt with your income level that you would get a full exemption but a partial one is certainly possible and as you are credited with a greater proportion of pension entitlement than you actually pay, it may well be sensible to do that at this stage.
I would be cautious unless OP and his wife have PR. A partial exception to nenkin as a working adult could hurt future visa or PR applications.

Obviously, none of this is codified. However, as they do check nenkin payment history and financial stability, it is best to avoid the classic red flags.
Thanks for this. Is this really true? I’ve been 100% exempted for the last 2 years and literally just picked up my new 3 year visa yesterday.
I’ll still go and check the 区役所 to see if there’s any possibility of getting it reduced at the very least.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Last year I was unemployed for about 3 months, and asked for the exemption. Started paying again after finding a new job (it is automatically discounted from my salary), 6 months later renewed my work visa (1 year) without anyone saying anything. Not sure If I paid back those 3 months, probably should check that out.

But like you said, it would be a good idea to check with the 区役所 since they're the ones that can give you accurate answers.