RetireJapan Online Conference

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: RetireJapan Online Conference

Post by RetireJapan »

Have been thinking about this a bit.

At first I though it would be good to have some short sessions introducing basic concepts (like basics of personal finance, iDeCo, NISA, the standard blueprint to invest in Japan, basic info for US citizens, etc.) and then some longer sessions discussing more varied topics (like Japanese dividend stocks, investing in real estate in Japan and the US, or Japanese startups/small cap stocks, or more general Q&A or round table sessions).

And then I thought there is no reason for the basic sesssions to be live on zoom. I could just make short videos of those and release them before the event. People could watch them and then attend the event, or just watch them.

Does that make sense?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

I think a pre-recorded Youtube video for the basics is a fabulous idea.

It will save you a lot of time and energy in the future, and it will be an easy thing for us to share with friends and colleagues.

If I may offer two sources of inspiration:

#1 Ben Felix - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDXTQ8 ... Z2v-kp7QxA

#2 The Plain Bagel -https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePlainBagel/videos
creed

Post by creed »

Add me to that list. Is there a way to get an email reminder?

Would like to attend the online conference.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

I see your logic with the Youtube route, but be careful, you might be going down a big rabbit hole. With Zoom, at least it's a one-time thing, badabing badaboom, and it's done. And as it's Zoom, people expect just a Zoom call. With Youtube however, you'll invariably start trying to get the visuals right, with video editing, supplementary graphics, lighting and audio, the whole lot. As it'll be up for posterity, you'll probably want something that holds its own with other Youtubers, if only to prevent future embarrassment, and that'll mean many hours of work to create even a short video.
Unless, of course, you don't care about any that.... in which case just ignore me, and best of luck!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

The site for the conference (with the signup link) is now live: https://www.retirejapan.com/rjconf2021/

Not quite finished, but we're getting there :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:08 am The site for the conference (with the signup link) is now live: https://www.retirejapan.com/rjconf2021/

Thank you for the hard work!

A personal project of mine is to get the basics of retirement planning in Japan on one single sheet of A4 paper.

I have a demo that I will post in a day or so, and maybe the community can help flesh it out? I really want to take the stress out of the process, and break it down in the simplest of terms.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:39 am A personal project of mine is to get the basics of retirement planning in Japan on one single sheet of A4 paper.

I have a demo that I will post in a day or so, and maybe the community can help flesh it out? I really want to take the stress out of the process, and break it down in the simplest of terms.
Sounds interesting!

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:39 am A personal project of mine is to get the basics of retirement planning in Japan on one single sheet of A4 paper.
Feel free to put it on the wiki 😁 Sharing and collaborating are what it's designed for.

I'm guessing you have something more specific than a wiki article in mind though 🙂
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:08 am The site for the conference (with the signup link) is now live: https://www.retirejapan.com/rjconf2021/

I have my daughter's piano recital down in Fukuoka on that day, will there by any chance be a recording of it on Zoom?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:40 pm I have my daughter's piano recital down in Fukuoka on that day, will there by any chance be a recording of it on Zoom?
Yes, we'll be recording the presentations (not the Q&A). Should be available at some point after the conference on the blog and on YouTube :)

Please share with others though -we'd like to get as many people as possible.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)