Asking for Advice about UK Pension and NI

beanhead
Sage

Re: Asking for Advice about UK Pension and NI

Post by beanhead »

jonnyd wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 pm But if I only got my NI number now in my 40s, surely I won't have any credits at all and it will start from August 2021 when they assigned me a number and the history of my NI would also start from August 2021 wouldn't it?
That seems like a good guess. You probably don't have this 3 years worth of credits some others received.
So, the only question is whether HMRC will still offer you the chance to pay voluntary contributions. The only way to find out is to apply and see.
(And if they reject you, contest the decision!)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
jonnyd
Regular

Post by jonnyd »

should I try for class 2 first or just do class 3?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

2!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Am I the only person on here making do with Class 3? :shock:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:14 am Am I the only person on here making do with Class 3? :shock:
:lol: Given that the OP has made literally no contributions thus far, there is no way he can qualify for Class 2. Still worth a try though!

OP, if they reject you for class 2, they should automatically offer you class 3 if they deem you eligible.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Beaglehound wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:29 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:14 am Am I the only person on here making do with Class 3? :shock:
:lol: Given that the OP has made literally no contributions thus far, there is no way he can qualify for Class 2. Still worth a try though!

OP, if they reject you for class 2, they should automatically offer you class 3 if they deem you eligible.
I got sent this letter, even though I did meet all of the requirements...
I contested and got accepted for Class 2 repayments...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

jonnyd wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 pm But if I only got my NI number now in my 40s, surely I won't have any credits at all and it will start from August 2021 when they assigned me a number and the history of my NI would also start from August 2021 wouldn't it?
Yeah, the NI manual says no 'starting credits' if you didn't have an NI number till recently:
This prevents credits being given under regulation 4 -
For any tax year beginning on or after 6 April 2010
For any other tax year where an application for a National Insurance number is made on or after 6 April 2010
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... l/nim41210

But it seems you'd satisfy eligibility for Class 3 via 3+ years of continuous residence in the UK, as others have said. See p10:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _12_20.pdf

You're on the path to infinite gains... percentagewise... in one way of looking at things... increasing your UK state pension entitlement from zero to something with three zeroes at the end. Sounds like you've done well to get your NI number, and are on course to getting into the system and starting to accrue those qualifying years. Do update us with the good news in due course.

If it were me, I'd apply for Class 3 from the outset as that's what you're eligible for from my reading of things. I agree with the advice that stating things clearly in a covering letter is helpful in addition to the submission of the form, as the form has proved inadequate to cover the nuances of many people's circumstances on this forum. I'd ask about backpaying for previous years as you have multiple years when you've fulfilled the main criteria to be able to pay voluntary contributions BUT haven't had an NI number. Probably a no can do for years preceding the issuance of the NI number, but you never know.

Also, I wonder what happens to tax year 2021-2022, in which you gained your NI number. It would not be the best start if they billed you for a partial year as that would be money down the drain since < 52 weeks does not count as a qualifying year. They might allow you to pay for the full year. They might not. If they don't allow you to backpay, it might be best to start payments from tax year 2022-2023. (Your answers may come close to the 2022-2023 tax year anyway...)
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

PS I've updated the wiki after reading this thread.

The original version stated that British citizens and former residents with qualifying years on their NI records could apply for voluntary contributions from abroad. But that was incorrect as the OP of this thread demonstrates -- people should be able to qualify for Class 3 contributions without having qualifying years if they satisfy the criteria.

And those Class 3 criteria have been updated for completeness. Three possibilities for qualification are now presented, but in a different order from the official info (NI38), as the third case (paying Class 1 contributions for first 52 weeks of employment abroad) is not one that has been discussed on this forum (to my knowledge), so could be the least likely to be applicable or useful to readers.
jonnyd
Regular

Post by jonnyd »

Wouldn't it be better to wait 3 years and do nothing, then I have a history of three years on my NI record, and then I can then send the letter and say I just moved abroad then I can make sure I can satisfy the 3 years consecutive living in the UK rule?
I have 5 years of living in the UK from 1997-2002, but since that was before my NI was created, I wonder if it counts?
jonnyd
Regular

Post by jonnyd »

Bushiman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 am
Beaglehound wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:29 am

I got sent this letter, even though I did meet all of the requirements...
I contested and got accepted for Class 2 repayments...
Could you tell me if this is the rejection letter for class 2 or 3?